PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Stopped by a local shop and saw a nice Caminetto Business in the Estate cabinet. Upon further indirectly, the walls were a bit thin. I then saw this unfinished, chubby billiard by Ascorti. I tend to prefer my pipes with a more slender profile, but I've wanted an Ascorti for a while, so I grabbed it. Nothing much for nomenclature. Wonder if this is the Ascorti equivalent to the unfinished Savinellis or something?

20230119_200646.jpg

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
This jogs my memory. Decades ago, my absolute best smoking pipe, by far, for latakia blends was an Ascorti plain-Jane Business. Think it was sandblasted, and black. Don't know why it smoked so well, but it was magic. Strangely heavy for its size, but it rocked. You didn't want each smoke to ever end. Can't for the life of me remember what happened to it. Wish I had it back. Wonder if it was a freak, or do they all smoke really well?

• Love
Reactions: danimalia

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I have a number of Ascortis—mostly from my days working at a Tinder Box, when they were a shop-exclusive—and they are all terrific smokers. Most are incredibly light, as well. (I especially love the Business and New Dear finishes, which seem to be the lightest pipes in the range.)

My heaviest—and, admittedly, least favorite—Ascorti is a smooth chunky pot, probably a bit closer to a Group 5 than any of my other pipes. I wanted it despite the size because, at the time, I had never before seen a smooth Ascorti. I don’t know about current production, but smooth Ascortis from the 80s/90s are very few and far between.

061E72AD-50B8-48C6-BD9F-38926165BDC1.jpeg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I have a number of Ascortis—mostly from my days working at a Tinder Box, when they were a shop-exclusive—and they are all terrific smokers. Most are incredibly light, as well. (I especially love the Business and New Dear finishes, which seem to be the lightest pipes in the range.)

My heaviest—and, admittedly, least favorite—Ascorti is a smooth chunky pot, probably a bit closer to a Group 5 than any of my other pipes. I wanted it despite the size because, at the time, I had never before seen a smooth Ascorti. I don’t know about current production, but smooth Ascortis from the 80s/90s are very few and far between.

View attachment 195899
I love that staggered, offset saddle bit. I've always enjoyed the Ascorti and Caminetto Business rustication, and would have grabbed the Business if I had a bit more confidence the walls wouldn't get too hot. They had a few more Caminettos but I think that was the only Ascorti. Prices were right. $75 for the Ascorti and one of the Cams. Another Cam was $125 but it was huge and had an army mount. So any fans in the market should check out Liberty Tobacco in San Diego.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmbittner

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
This jogs my memory. Decades ago, my absolute best smoking pipe, by far, for latakia blends was an Ascorti plain-Jane Business. Think it was sandblasted, and black. Don't know why it smoked so well, but it was magic. Strangely heavy for its size, but it rocked. You didn't want each smoke to ever end. Can't for the life of me remember what happened to it. Wish I had it back. Wonder if it was a freak, or do they all smoke really well?
First bowl was some C&D Burley Flake 1, but I'll fire up a latakia blend later to try it out. Has the nice generous chamber I prefer for Lat blends

Reactions: kcghost