Unremarkable to Remarkable(Shout-out to Pipestud)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
New Accessories
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
So some time ago, I bought a couple pipes from a guy and he sent me 3 aged tins, one BBF, one Dunhill Standard, and one Dunhill Royal Yacht. I held onto the RY for some time, thinking I might sell it, even tried to at one point and noone was interested, even though it was dated to 2007. I recently decided to open it, gave it a quick dry as is my MO before I jarred it. I first smoked it about a month ago and was wholely unimpressed. I almost put in into a box pass so perhaps someone who enjoyed RY could have some nicely aged RY to smoke.

Then I just read a thread recently about baking tins, and Pipestud mentioned how baking RY had made a vast improvement on this tobacco. I'd already opened the tin but figured it was bakeable in the jar right? I threw it into my toaster oven for 1 hour at 200 degrees. I left it for a few days and just came back to it for the first time yesterday. I was going out to mow my lawn and I do enjoy smoking a pipe while cutting the grass. Man, I was just blown away at the change the baking had on this tobacco. It was smooth, rich, hearty virginia throughout. Just as Pipestud had declared, the baking took the highs and lows out, diminished the topping and made this a truly excellent smoke!

Awesome, but mowing the yard can even make Carter hall in a cob taste good to me. I am going to try baking a tin of RY though. I love it as is, but I like toying with cooking my tobaccos sometimes. I just hope it doesn't diminish the nicotine. I noticed with baking Erinmore Flakes that it sort of reduced the shock and awe.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I saw an article about ten years ago about doing that. The author called it "stoving". And your right. It's amazing what a difference it can make in a tobacco. His recommendation was 200 degrees for two hours.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
gloucesterman,
Any chance you have a reference to the article? I'd love to see it.
Was it a Fred Hanna piece or someone else?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Glad it worked out for you, samcoffeeman. If you or anyone else wants some really in-depth reading on tin baking, Fred Hanna's Book, Gourmet Pipe Smoking, devotes a whole chapter to tin baking. It was a great read and what got me started on becoming a tobacco chef of ill repute. His book has sold out but is available sometimes on Amazon and is always available on Kindle. No association and no commission on his sales but here's the link - http://www.amazon.com/The-Perfect-Smoke-Relaxation-Reflection-ebook/dp/B00GYHDWCQ
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.