PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Was having a quick little pipe before driving in to work this morning, when this little guy (not more than a few weeks old) and his mom and sibling stopped by. Just after I started filming he decided to play a little game of chicken with our well, practicing for his future in the big leagues during rutting season :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes here you get to share a morning pipe with some pretty amazing critters.

2DC8CD12-0246-43E8-ABE0-3DD053D2D553.jpeg

Disclaimer: Moose (especially a cow with young calves) are very dangerous animals. While filming this video I was standing next to the open door of my vehicle in which I had been sitting and smoking, in the event that mom decided she wanted to get rid of me I had a amply quick route to safety. If not for that, I would never have put myself this close to these animals intentionally).

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Great video, thanks for sharing. I also appreciate your respect for safety and moose. Too many people don’t realize how dangerous they can be.

I remember working for the Parks Branch years ago and two guys from the city looking out the back window of our cabin saw a black bear sow and two cubs. They got so excited and started yelling that they were going out back to take pictures. Fortunately two of us got to the door before they did and gave them a quick safety lesson.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Great video, thanks for sharing. I also appreciate your respect for safety and moose. Too many people don’t realize how dangerous they can be.

I remember working for the Parks Branch years ago and two guys from the city looking out the back window of our cabin saw a black bear sow and two cubs. They got so excited and started yelling that they were going out back to take pictures. Fortunately two of us got to the door before they did and gave them a quick safety lesson.
Yeah, the ignorance kills me sometimes. During red salmon season here bears, along with tourists, frequent some of the streams. When a bear shows up, everyone freaks out, grabs their shit, and starts backing slowly to the hills. When a cow and calf moose show up, they all whip out their cameras and try to get closer......cray

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Was having a quick little pipe before driving in to work this morning, when this little guy (not more than a few weeks old) and his mom and sibling stopped by. Just after I started filming he decided to play a little game of chicken with our well, practicing for his future in the big leagues during rutting season :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes here you get to share a morning pipe with some pretty amazing critters.

View attachment 32233

Disclaimer: Moose (especially a cow with young calves) are very dangerous animals. While filming this video I was standing next to the open door of my vehicle in which I had been sitting and smoking, in the event that mom decided she wanted to get rid of me I had a amply quick route to safety. If not for that, I would never have put myself this close to these animals intentionally).
That’s awesome man. In your own back yard. Damn.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I think a lot of people don't understand just how big an powerful a moose is until it's too late. Things are friggin massive!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think a lot of people don't understand just how big an powerful a moose is until it's too late. Things are friggin massive!
Yes. They think they are just like other deer, maybe a little bigger, when in fact a full grown bull moose can be 7 feet at the shoulder and weigh 1,400 lbs. 4 or 5x the size of most deer species.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yes. They think they are just like other deer, maybe a little bigger, when in fact a full grown bull moose can be 7 feet at the shoulder and weigh 1,400 lbs. 4 or 5x the size of most deer species.

C'mon, are you saying Bullwinkle can be dangerous? LOL My rule of thumb with wild animals is real simple. If they have big teeth and/or are near my size or larger, give them plenty of space. If they prefer dining on flesh, give them plenty more space.

Aug 1, 2012
Worked wild game processing for a bit and had to unload a few moose. Things are a hell of a lot bigger up close than one might expect. Also came up on a few while hiking, quietly backed away and am still here to tell the tale.

The meese in the OP are pretty darn cool though.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Worked wild game processing for a bit and had to unload a few moose. Things are a hell of a lot bigger up close than one might expect. Also came up on a few while hiking, quietly backed away and am still here to tell the tale.

The meese in the OP are pretty darn cool though.
Yeah field processing moose is a bitch. When they hit the ground the fun is over. Especially if you are a long way from a vehicle. Even with 4 men it takes hours. With 2 its a nightmare. A single hind quarter can weigh 150lbs. But its flipping them over to get to the second side that is the real heavy task.

Where did you work in processing?

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
Last winter I had a plumber out to fix a broken water heater and a couple of stuck valves in the cabin, when he was done and tried to leave a moose was licking road salt from the rear wheel arches of his work-van. He tried hollering and waiving his arms but the moose could not be bothered at first. When the plumber got close the moose lowered its head at him and snarled, no more than two meters between them. The plumber backed off.
I offered the plumber a cup of coffee and told him to wait it out, but he was in a hurry and wanted to be on his way. So he got in the van from the opposite side (passenger side) of the moose and started the engine. Trying to reverse the van out of the parking spot. But the moose would have none of it placing itself behind the van blocking the way and not budging even when bumped by the van! The plumber shut the engine off, got out, sneaked around the van so he was approaching the moose (who was back to licking road salt) from behind, reached around the corner of the van and slapped the mooses rump with a pipe wrench.
Never seen a plumber run that fast before...
Luckily the moose didn't give chase or attack, it startled at first and then resumed licking the van. The now quite shaken plumber accepted my offer of coffee and the moose wandered off after a couple of minutes.

I believe the wife took a couple of pictures of it all. I'll check after work and post them if she can find them.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Last winter I had a plumber out to fix a broken water heater and a couple of stuck valves in the cabin, when he was done and tried to leave a moose was licking road salt from the rear wheel arches of his work-van. He tried hollering and waiving his arms but the moose could not be bothered at first. When the plumber got close the moose lowered its head at him and snarled, no more than two meters between them. The plumber backed off.
I offered the plumber a cup of coffee and told him to wait it out, but he was in a hurry and wanted to be on his way. So he got in the van from the opposite side (passenger side) of the moose and started the engine. Trying to reverse the van out of the parking spot. But the moose would have none of it placing itself behind the van blocking the way and not budging even when bumped by the van! The plumber shut the engine off, got out, sneaked around the van so he was approaching the moose (who was back to licking road salt) from behind, reached around the corner of the van and slapped the mooses rump with a pipe wrench.
Luckily the moose didn't give chase or attack, it startled at first and then resumed licking the van. The now quite shaken plumber accepted my offer of coffee and the moose wandered off after a couple of minutes.

I believe the wife took a couple of pictures of it all. I'll check after work and post them if she can find them.
Waiting is the best way. Although firecrackers tossed nearby work well if the moose is damaging crops or property. Other than that, best not to hassle them.

The plumber is lucky to be alive. An important saying in Alaska is “You can’t get anywhere fast if you’re dead.” Although that’s most often applied to flying in bad weather, hahaha.

Reactions: Gecko

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion

I hate moose now.

Reactions: Gecko
Aug 1, 2012
Yeah field processing moose is a bitch. When they hit the ground the fun is over. Especially if you are a long way from a vehicle. Even with 4 men it takes hours. With 2 its a nightmare. A single hind quarter can weigh 150lbs. But its flipping them over to get to the second side that is the real heavy task.

Where did you work in processing?
Yeah, field processing a moose is a pleasure I'm glad I've never had.

I worked in Jackson, WY for a season to help out a friend's business. We got mainly elk and antelope but the real tough ones were moose and bison (and one cow a local brought in after it broke its leg). I'm one of the few people in this world who has had to cape out a rotting buffalo. That job had some great life experience though.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Yeah, field processing a moose is a pleasure I'm glad I've never had.

I worked in Jackson, WY for a season to help out a friend's business. We got mainly elk and antelope but the real tough ones were moose and bison (and one cow a local brought in after it broke its leg). I'm one of the few people in this world who has had to cape out a rotting buffalo. That job had some great life experience though.
Wyoming! Those are little tiny moose! But even small moose are quite large...

Sounds like a fun job. Minus the rotting buffalo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few years ago, a Forums member reported being stalked by a moose, I think it was a male. He felt his big hunting dog, bred for bear hunting, held off the moose enough to get him and the dog himself out of harms way. Yeah, don't want to get between mama and those babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.