PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Ah, and coming back to the initial question:

At least I've seen some/many pipes that cleary were made by Comoy's but not stamped "Comoy's". You could recognize them from the shape number stamping. But all I've seen so far had another stamp included, mostly a tobacconist's stamp. For example, I have a "Paget&Paget" shape 112, see picture below. Also I do have a 112 that was made for (and stamped) "Robinson & Co LTD, Singapore".

paget.jpg

Reactions: anotherbob

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I just got this from EBeast. Did Comoy's ever make unmarked pipes? The quality of the grain on this one and the shape ooze Comoy's to me, but an unmarked Comoy's? There is not a stamp or mark on the beauty. Thanks in advance.View attachment 93401

But IF that's a Comoy's, 7charb, I'd rather guess that it's a shape 334, the large Apple with the thicker shank. At least it looks slightly more chubby to me.

Than again, mentioning that this pipe doesn't have any stampings at all, even not a shape number, nor a "made in England" stamp, I somewhat doubt that this is a Comoy's pipe. Or what do you or the others think?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
But IF that's a Comoy's, 7charb, I'd rather guess that it's a shape 334, the large Apple with the thicker shank. At least it looks slightly more chubby to me.

Than again, mentioning that this pipe doesn't have any stampings at all, even not a shape number, nor a "made in England" stamp, I somewhat doubt that this is a Comoy's pipe. Or what do you or the others think?

I did find this reference on Worthpoint, which purports to be a shape 36B in Comoy's Everyman variety.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.47.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 8.47.14 PM.png
    526.9 KB · Views: 1

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Again - I'm pretty sure it's 368, not 36B.

However - I'm really not sure how you come to the believe it's a Comoy's pipe if it doesn't have any markings/stampings at all. Perhaps the pipe is somewhat similar to a Comoy's shape 368 you display, but if you ask me, the shape is slightly different. I mean, there are so many well known pipe factories that did a classical, medium-sized apple.

Is there any marking on the silver band? Comoy's silver bands always had a HC engraved into a rectangle or hexagon.

Reactions: Humblepipe

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Again - I'm pretty sure it's 368, not 36B.

However - I'm really not sure how you come to the believe it's a Comoy's pipe if it doesn't have any markings/stampings at all. Perhaps the pipe is somewhat similar to a Comoy's shape 368 you display, but if you ask me, the shape is slightly different. I mean, there are so many well known pipe factories that did a classical, medium-sized apple.

Is there any marking on the silver band? Comoy's silver bands always had a HC engraved into a rectangle or hexagon.

I do not disagree. @ssjones, who responded earlier in this thread, is very knowledgeable about Comoy's (although even more knowledgeable about GBDs if I remember correctly). My knowledge base is not great on Comoy's. Therefore, my humility has no bounds on this topic....

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
No idea, I'm not knowledgeable about pipes or tobacco, I just moderate. However I love that pipe Charb. The apple shape is near and dear to my heart, and that one looks like a great one!