PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

antlomb4

Lurker
May 13, 2021
Does anyone know anything about this Dunhill Pipe from 1937? It looks like a Dunhill Root Patent based on the label, and the faded serial number verifies the date, but what's up with the engraving? It looks like a crown or something? I can't find anything like this out there. Any ideas or thoughts? Appreciate the help!IMG_3683.jpgIMG_3682.jpgIMG_3684.jpg

Reactions: buzkirk

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As much as I despise Dunhill, that doesn't look like something they would do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like it was maybe done after its purchase.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
A crown, 1937...maybe a commemorative pipe for the coronation of King George the VI?
That’s what I thought. I’m surprised I haven’t seen one before but who knows if the carving is Dunhill or not. Bertie was a very heavy smoker but I don’t remember seeing him with a pipe but it’s a cool association piece as Dunhill was granted his Royal Warrant.

Aug 1, 2012
That’s what I thought. I’m surprised I haven’t seen one before but who knows if the carving is Dunhill or not. Bertie was a very heavy smoker but I don’t remember seeing him with a pipe but it’s a cool association piece as Dunhill was granted his Royal Warrant.
I'm a bit surprised by it too. I'm not sure if it's original either but the quality is good enough that I tend to believe that it is.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nothing more to add from me except I keep looking at the first pic with the crown. The grain on the bowl is really nice, but with the carving it becomes stunning.

awesome couple of pipes you have there bro, welcome aboard anyways.

Reactions: captainsousie

antlomb4

Lurker
May 13, 2021
Yeah, I literally cannot find anything anywhere online, whether pictures or something written. Was hoping someone more experienced than me would recognize it.

Reactions: captainsousie

antlomb4

Lurker
May 13, 2021
I'm a bit surprised by it too. I'm not sure if it's original either but the quality is good enough that I tend to believe that it is.
After I couldn't find anything, I questioned whether it was original, but you pointed out what I also was thinking. It is done so well that it doesn't look like someone just slapped it on there afterward. Wish I had more info on it!

antlomb4

Lurker
May 13, 2021
Nothing more to add from me except I keep looking at the first pic with the crown. The grain on the bowl is really nice, but with the carving it becomes stunning.

awesome couple of pipes you have there bro, welcome aboard anyways.
Thanks man! Both this and the Peterson I posted are super cool pipes. The buddy that gave them to me received 50 pipes from his brother-in-law that were his great grandfathers. He had a bunch of other Dunhills and was generous enough to give me these two. After all, I was the one who got him into pipe smoking. Haha.