PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
My mom, surprisingly, bought a bunch of pipes and pipe stands at an auction years ago. Long story short, she mailed them to me and I received them today.
There were some interesting things in the box, in various conditions ranging from "not too bad" to "ew". There was a GBD, a Yellow Bole, a Honeycomb, a couple Willards...I'll post pics of them later.
The pièce de résistance was the one pictured below. The MM logo is stamped on the bottom. The vulcanite stem is heavily oxidized (you can see where I started working on it) but otherwise in very good shape. The rim is dark all the way around, but I think it may have come that way from the factory since it appears to have been smoked very little. There's a little carbon on the upper 2/3 of the chamber, but the bottom of the chamber looks new.
I'll send a pic to MM to see when this was made and whatnot. Meanwhile if you have any info, please share.IMG_20201022_181326.jpg

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Very, very nice.

Thanks! I like the way the stain has almost a sunburst look, which is something I've tried on some cobs I've stained.

Side note: Staining cobs isn't a bad way to practice if you want to get a feel for it before moving to briar. They do a nice contrast stain, and I'd argue that you can pull detail that rivals briar.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I think the dark part near the bottom of the cob itself was just caused my handling by the previous owner. I haven't seen that on mine, but I wipe them down regularly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love how the old pipes kind of petrify after time.

My legend is starting to do that. Much harder and solid feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.