PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mr Maiz

Lurker
May 15, 2021
Texas
Hey everyone.
New pipe smoker with another question. First few bowls I had were pretty darn flavorful and caused me to almost entirely stop smoking the cigars. But, for some reason, everytime is hit or miss. I almost always have black, not properly burned, tarry ash around the bowl that doesn't go down even with light tamping. Seems to be stuck on unless I scrape it a bit. About half way through even if I tamp lightly or haven't tamped draw becomes obstructed and always around half way even smoking slow, it gurgles. Am I messing up real bad or is there an issue with my Peterson Aran 80s and the way it smokes?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If it smoked fine at first, something obviously changed. First, clean your pipe. Make sure there aren't any wet crap accumulating in mortise and draught holes.

Dry your tobacco. Don't just leave it on paper plate and say "done". Check the tobacco by grabbing a pinch between thumb and index. There should not be any cool, moist to the touch. Do it every 5 min until you know how long it takes for that blend.

Pick out or shred large pieces. Pick out branches and anything that's not tobacco leave and soft.

Pack lightly. Don't shove things in the chamber. Be gentle.

Mr Maiz

Lurker
May 15, 2021
Texas
If it smoked fine at first, something obviously changed. First, clean your pipe. Make sure there aren't any wet crap accumulating in mortise and draught holes.

Dry your tobacco. Don't just leave it on paper plate and say "done". Check the tobacco by grabbing a pinch between thumb and index. There should not be any cool, moist to the touch. Do it every 5 min until you know how long it takes for that blend.

Pick out or shred large pieces. Pick out branches and anything that's not tobacco leave and soft.

Pack lightly. Don't shove things in the chamber. Be gentle.
So I clean after every use. The tins have been open for a few weeks and I do test the tobacco before packing but maybe it's not quite dry enough. I'll try more drying time and see.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
The tins have been open for a few weeks

Ahhh, do you jar right away? ?

Well a few weeks isn’t going to kill tobacco, but depending on the relative weather, humidity/dryness it can certainly change it for the worse somewhat.

Be sure to put the tabac right after you open it into Ball/Mason jars to maintain the freshness.

P.S. I’m not saying this is your problem, just that this is the best way to maintain tabac. :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hey everyone.
New pipe smoker with another question. First few bowls I had were pretty darn flavorful and caused me to almost entirely stop smoking the cigars. But, for some reason, everytime is hit or miss. I almost always have black, not properly burned, tarry ash around the bowl that doesn't go down even with light tamping. Seems to be stuck on unless I scrape it a bit. About half way through even if I tamp lightly or haven't tamped draw becomes obstructed and always around half way even smoking slow, it gurgles. Am I messing up real bad or is there an issue with my Peterson Aran 80s and the way it smokes?
might be cake or the beginning of cake. My Peterson churchwarden gurgled like a beast for the first couple weeks of breaking it in. Smoked kind of harsh too. Now it's a dream. And both of my Petersons had a coating on the bowl that I feel super neutral about (could take it or leave it) that's kind of a black gummy stuff. That might be what you're finding on the inside of the bowl. The thing is I still am not 100 percent sure what you are reporting.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Drying the tobacco can help. Not being there it’s hard to tell. Gurgle can happen a couple different ways.... tobacco too moist, smoking too fast, some pipes gurgle at some points as they all can smoke differently.

To prevent burn (again not sure how you smoke) check your pace, slow down don’t worry about re-lights. When was the last time the filter was changed? You can tamp harder depending on your draw. Aim for a draw that’s like drinking out of a straw, mileage may vary.

To help with gurgle, check filter, if you don’t care about having the filter remove it. Keep a pipe cleaner with you (if you don’t have a filter), and run it through the pipe (from the mouthpiece). That will pick up extra moisture if you are able to reach the bottom of the bowl.

Enjoy that smoke

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Also curious if you are in the dry or humid part of Texas. Weather can make a difference. It sounds like this is your only pipe. Maybe consider picking up a few cobs. They’re cheap and handy.

The uneven burn sounds like a possible draw issue. This could be from an uneven load. Try loading looser than usual. The draw should be about the same loaded as empty. Also try tamping from the edges toward the center to push the tabac into contact with them ember. I also suspect that you might have some buildup in the airway. Give the stem and airway a deep cleaning with alcohol on some cleaners.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
It could’ve the pipe too! Is the drraught lined with the foot of the bowl? Or perhaps a slight bit below? If the later, It’ll Basically just be a funnel for your moisture and won’t burn off.
However; being that it didn’t gurgle initially, the problem is most likely (99%) That your airway is obstructed.
Best bet, is to clean the pipe when you start to gurgle. If in the middle of a smoke, run a pipe cleaner down to sop up the accumulation, and once your finished you can give it a proper cleaning and a swab.
Just make sure you allow enough time for the pipe to dry after you clean it, otherwise that moisture converts to steam and you exasperated the problem.

I’ve a few pipes I can smoke two or three times a day no problem, and others only once then require rest. My oldest pipe, is a 305, and it’s a workhorse. I’ve used it in the past everyday for three weeks straight, multiple bowls a day, and it never gurgled, and I didn’t clean it.
I’ve a Peterson Atlantic 05, and the fraught is slightly low, so I get 1 maybe two bowls out of it before a gurgle appears. Then it’s clean and rest until it dries sufficiently.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
The Peterson 80s is probably my most favorite pipe to smoke out of. I own several. I can assure you, it's probably not the pipe.

If you're tobacco is is gurgling, there is too much moisture in there somewhere. It could be that the tobacco is not dry enough. It could be accumulation in, or near the bottom, of the stem, a frequent issue with bent pipes.

Moisture level of the tobacco is an easy issue to solve by simply resting it longer before smoking.

If it is the former, a couple treatments could offer a solution. First and foremost, ensure the pipe is clean. Secondly, pack a little looser near the bottom of the bowl. Third, use the pipe cleaner for more than just routine cleaning... (i.e., during your smoke) Running a soft pipe cleaner through the stem a few times during your smoke will help remove most of the condensation that develops naturally during the smoking process. Doing this will help you to maintain a dry smoke throughout the duration of that bowl.

These are all best learned through trial and error. Hope this helps.

v/r,
Chris

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Peterson 80s is probably my most favorite pipe to smoke out of. I own several. I can assure you, it's probably not the pipe.
although you never know. There is never any guaranty with pipes. I even once had a pipe that was labeled as smokeable technically but made for display that smoked incredibly well people have bought brands that are raved about and which the artisan who lovingly had carves them is raved about too, yet sometimes someone gets one of their pipes and it smokes like a 20 dollar turd. Personally I think magic is part of what makes a pipe good, bad, or great and sometimes the pipe gods smile on a pipe and sometimes they damn one.

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
When it gurgles stop right away. Run a cleaner down and soak up the moisture. Otherwise you’ll get bitterness with it.

I think between all the responses you should be good to go. Switch up with a different pipe if you’re concerned about the tarry ash. I try to tamp dead center after my second light.