PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
I put this post in the beginner section as I hope it might be a good general intro to the Falcon line of pipes for other "beginners". I recently bought an Alco (not compatible with Falcon) pipe on ebay and packed it and started to smoke. I gotta say I was more than pleasantly surprised. A cool smoke and very tasty. I was experiencing tastes from Nightcap I had not in my previous month of smoking It in my small briar and meerschaum collection. I am an inexperienced smoker and maybe a more experienced pipe smoker would be easily able to coax these flavours from a briar or meerschaum pipe. To my mind though, it would be an excellent incentive for a beginner to experience such a smoke for to motivate them to improve their smoking technique and gain, maybe even further, finer flavours from briar and meerschaum.
As I continued to smoke I had no issues with tongue bite and the bowl stayed relatively cool in my hand throughout. The tobacco burned pretty much to the bottom of the bowl and then when finished, the cleanup was a breeze (due to the easy dismantling of the pipe).
All in all, a very enjoyable smoke from start to finish, and quite effortless.

So here is the questions I have: Are all Falcons stems and bowls interchangeable? I know that Falcon and Alco are not, but I mean rather the 'Falcon International', 'Falcon Classic', 'Falcon Extra'... these are the only ones I know of so far.

What's the catch here? Some people reportedly taste a metallic taste (personally I didn't, but I was smoking an estate so maybe my stem and other metal parts have been coated?)

Yeah, just any info on Falcon would be appreciated. As a beginner, for what it's worth, I would highly recommend you try out these types of pipes.
Thanks.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Ah! Nice. I searched Falcon and didn't find that. Cheers.

Reactions: ray47

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a Falcon owner, but I've seen Forums photos posted of racks full of nothing but Falcons and back-up bowls. Seems some can only smoke Falcons.

Reactions: anotherbob

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I love my Falcons. Being a meerschaum fanatic, the meer bowls are quite nice. If out and about or at work they are not as fragile as some of my collection...
bo5AsQa.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Love mine. The Hyperboles are actually quite huge, if you’re worried about Falcons being too small.

The interchangeable bowls are great. I might experiment with a few different stem configurations some day but haven’t yet, although the Shillelaghs are tempting me.

Reactions: anotherbob

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Not a Falcon owner, but I've seen Forums photos posted of racks full of nothing but Falcons and back-up bowls. Seems some can only smoke Falcons.
I was wondering about this... If they smoke in a very specific way that is unique to Falcon, and also pleasant. Then they are bound to have "Falcon only" devotees. I thought the same must be true of Carey Magic Inch pipes. Which I have yet to try.

Reactions: danimalia

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
UPDATE: [Captain's log]...

Just decided to try some ODF in my Alco... Didn't smoke as well imo. At first I tasted a more pronounced (and pleasant) vinegar taste of the ODF, but this only lasted a few puffs in. I would say that I prefer the ODF in my other non-Falcon-like pipes. Not a bad smoke, it's just I noticed that the Nightcap seen more of an improvement (for me) in the Alco.

Status
Not open for further replies.