PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I have a couple of very thrifty sticks that I enjoy the hell out of. They’re not “good, for the money”, they are just plain good.

5 Vegas AAA: I recently picked up a 20 count box of Robusto’s for $50

F2EDD6EE-9900-4278-96B0-CA4667E6418C.jpeg

La Herencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte: currently getting 10 packs for around $27

5DAF7D5C-3ABB-4634-86A5-DE79469BE039.jpeg

Curious to hear if others have poor man’s cigars that they find criminally undervalued.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
You're complaining that a good stick is "criminally" undervalued? I'm often amazed at what appears on these pages. Feel free to pay more than the asking price if only to assuage your guilty feelings. rotf
Not complaining in the slightest, just amazed at the quality for prices that are more in line with bundles of 2nd’s. I was interested to hear if others have total sleepers that punch way harder than their price tag would suggest, or if you’re all just a bunch of Padron Anniversary smoking snobs who scoff at my budget sticks ?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I haven’t bought cigars for several years. In the past I have bought lesser known brands and bundles that were quite good at around $2 a stick.One of my favorites were the JR Cigars Nicaraguan Overruns for about $30/20.

Of course I got some crap from “experts” at local cigar lounges, who had been smoking cigars for maybe all of 10 months and had read everything on the interwebs about everything “cigars”…

Padron makes a good cigar. And while I do like the higher priced ones, my favorite is the 5000.

Reactions: mtwaller

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Marsh Wheeling is as good as it gets and I love the price!
That was the brand Clint Eastwood brought to Italy to film the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. He only brought one or two boxes though and had to cut them in half to last the whole film ! Good choice !
to paraphrase 'Every [cigar] plays its own tune ... right on time, little one...' ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Hillcrest : Thats probably so. I have not seen 'The Good, The Bad and Pretty Moldy' in many a year. My taste in cigars is probably in line with Inspector Columbo - cheap!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
King Edward cigars used to be available everywhere. They are factory made and way mild, but if you enjoy mild they're pretty good. I used to smoke them now and then years ago, but it's been years since I've seen them for sale. Even online they are most often out of stock. If you find them, the full size cigars, not the small ones, they are worth a try. I remember them as burning evenly and not too fast with good ( but very mild) flavor.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
In general, my experience with $2 Cigars has not been good to the point I've given up trying to find a good one. Since I primarily now smoke pipe, the need isn't there. I'm happy with the $5 to $6 Cigars I smoke while playing golf. If I see them in a shop,I may buy one or two of your recommendations to try.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I haven’t bought cigars for several years. In the past I have bought lesser known brands and bundles that were quite good at around $2 a stick.One of my favorites were the JR Cigars Nicaraguan Overruns for about $30/20.

Of course I got some crap from “experts” at local cigar lounges, who had been smoking cigars for maybe all of 10 months and had read everything on the interwebs about everything “cigars”…

Padron makes a good cigar. And while I do like the higher priced ones, my favorite is the 5000.
I’ve been reasonably satisfied with the various overrun maduros I’ve had. They’re always a solid, no-nonsense smoke.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I didn’t realize I was stepping in a pile of shit by suggesting that there are some killer sticks that smoke way better than their price tag would lead you to believe. I’m certainly not sitting here gnashing my teeth and lighting twenty dollar bills on fire as an offering to the gods when I smoke them. Thoughts and prayers to all whom I’ve affected with my careless tongue.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
King Edward cigars used to be available everywhere. They are factory made and way mild, but if you enjoy mild they're pretty good. I used to smoke them now and then years ago, but it's been years since I've seen them for sale. Even online they are most often out of stock. If you find them, the full size cigars, not the small ones, they are worth a try. I remember them as burning evenly and not too fast with good ( but very mild) flavor.
I managed to find some in Miss Moran’s in Belfast last year but they weren’t as good as I thought they were.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I didn’t realize I was stepping in a pile of shit by suggesting that there are some killer sticks that smoke way better than their price tag would lead you to believe. I’m certainly not sitting here gnashing my teeth and lighting twenty dollar bills on fire as an offering to the gods when I smoke them. Thoughts and prayers to all whom I’ve affected with my careless tongue.
You should be ashamed of yourself for revealing publicly that there are good deals still to be had ! If everyone finds out there won't be any anymore !! For penance gnash on these tasty treats and keep quiet :
Topper Corona Grande 12/4 Cigars - Maduro | Famous Smoke - https://www.famous-smoke.com/topper-corona-grande-4-cigars-maduro ;):ROFLMAO:?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Not complaining in the slightest, just amazed at the quality for prices that are more in line with bundles of 2nd’s. I was interested to hear if others have total sleepers that punch way harder than their price tag would suggest, or if you’re all just a bunch of Padron Anniversary smoking snobs who scoff at my budget sticks ?

You mentioned it in you post… Punch. I find that they’re a good bang for the buck.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
@Hillcrest : Thats probably so. I have not seen 'The Good, The Bad and Pretty Moldy' in many a year. My taste in cigars is probably in line with Inspector Columbo - cheap!
If I recall correctly he smoked/bought Garcia Y Vega Candelas but there are plenty of scenes where he filled his pockets with the expensive ones from some murderer's humidor when he had the chance !

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Reactions: Hillcrest