PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi folks, does anyone know of a retailer in the UK who is able to supply blends from the US that are not readily available to us or if indeed this is legal?
My usual e-shop has a reasonable selection of European blends but little or nothing from over the pond. I am aware from reading threads on here of many interesting blends and I really would like to try some.
Any guidance much appreciated.
Regards,
Jay.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Had nothing but great things to say about 4noggins and my experiences with international shipping.

flymapper

Lurker
Sep 27, 2013
Does anyone know of an online retailer in the UK or Europe who will ship to the states, for those blends not available here? I don't know anything about international tobacco shipping online coming back this way, but I see some of you big-timers seem to be able to get hold of blends not readily available here.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Flymapper, take a look at James Fox in Dublin, Ireland and QG Tobacco in the UK. I got packages from both this week with no problems. 5-7 days from order to receipt.

flymapper

Lurker
Sep 27, 2013
Thanks! I have been to the GQ website, but thought I read that they don't ship to the U.S. (lower right on the their homepage). That's why I asked....didn't think I could order from them.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
The reason certain blends aren't sold in the UK like they are abroad is due to packaging. A trivial load of bullshit but none the less the facts.
No tobacconist will import these blends to sell to you (due to the package laws) but you can simply import them directly from the US etc. With this you will get fingered with import fees, duties, added taxes, vat on certain weights of product and those oh so great handling fees.
Essentially, you'll be paying X for your baccy, £25 for postage, £12 handling fees, X in random duties etc and depending on the ammount/weight of your baccy.. additional taxes and vat.
All in all it's not worth it as the blends available here are pretty much the best availble anyway, the highly praised blends abroad will be good but not a million times better or worth the extra costs and time waiting for your fiddled parcel to arrive.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Hi Jay - Gauntleys of Nottingham carry quite a few US blends, including GLP, but they're bloody expensive! I prefer Rich at 4Noggins, whose range and service are simple superb.
Andy

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
As Andy says order from 4Noggins, you'll not be disappointed. I've order from Rich several times and have always been very happy with the way things went.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi chaps, thanks ever so much for your input and suggestions. However having looked at 4noggins & Gauntley's websites I now realise that it simply isn't going to work for me.
4noggins one has to commit to buy afore one gets an idea of p+p costs plus all their disclaimers are pretty scary. Thoughts of excise men thumping on my door at 6am give me the willies so they are out.
Gauntley's have a very limited stock but I looked up the price of a random blend and was shocked to see it was nigh on twice the price per weight of something I can get here. I fully expected a hike in price but not almost 100%.
I think my idea is pretty much dead. All I wanted was to trial some US blends but the hoops one has to jump through, risks one has to take and the prohibitive costs involved to access a blend I may not even like have made me realise I am stuck with what I can readily source at home.
Ah well it was a nice thought while it lasted :?
Regards,
Jay.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Mawnansmiff, Because the shipping is based on weight and destination, the best thing to do is to start an order on my website. Before you checkout, you can see the total cost, including shipping. You can then continue on and pay, or cancel the order.
Rich

4noggins.com

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for that Rich but when I typed in my UK post code I got the message '5 or 6 digits required for rates' which means absolutely nothing to me. It's not at all straightforward.
I can't even jump through the first hoop!
I think Samon has got it right and this is simply not going to work for me.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I just realized I had to create an account just to get the postage rates :crazy:
So I have just given out a pile of highly personal information just to find the price of p+p on a tin of Carter Hall is almost the cost of the baccy.
Am feeling like a mug now.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
GQ still ships to the US, you have to pay through 'WorldPay' cause he can't take credit and debit from the States. WorldPay is a piece of cake to set up and use. $20 flat rate shipping.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Jay,
You did not have to register to get the shipping rates, all you had to do is choose your country first, then it will allow the postal code.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This little adventure has explained to me why I read so often of Americans buying baccy by the pound which always baffled me. The prices you pay are peanuts compared to what we Brits have to fork out! Also there are huge variations in prices from one blend to another. Here pretty much all pipe tobacco is twixt £12:50 & £13:50 per 50g irrespective of blend or brand.
On Rich's site I saw huge variations in prices (and an impressive array of blends too), some to be had for ~ £6:30 per 50g which would be an absolute bargain over here.
Living on a disabled pension means that every penny has to be spent wisely so best I get used to what is available on these shores and stop looking elsewhere. If I get around to selling my nest egg pipe (Comoy Extraordinaire) then I might just dip my toe :puffy:
Pricing aside though it is the gamble factor that is bothering me most by which I mean having customs opening up my parcel then slapping a huge VAT bill on me, that would really spoil my day.
Such is life I suppose. Thanks to all for your assistance, it's been an interesting not to say eye opening day.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The prices in the UK are sky high on tobacco and coffee, the only two items I priced when there six months ago. Re coffee: about $200 for a pound of Central American coffee... Now, it was at Fortum & Mason, in a beautiful package of something like 250 grams, but still..... Maybe it was hand picked by naked nymphs under a blood moon or something.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John, you forgot to mention petrol, another (necessary to some) commodity that we get taxed to the hilt on.
The utter greed of governments sometimes beggars belief :evil:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.