PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Professor Brad Rodu of University of Louisville has published his own analysis of FDA statistics showing that there is only a minor health risk associated with moderate pipe and cigar smoking. He holds an endowed chair on tobacco harm reduction at the university. I mentioned it here on another thread a week or so ago.
While I concede that smoking is any form is unhealthy, there needs to be honesty in the discussion about what the risks really are. The anti-tobacco crusade has risen to the level of an irrational, emotion-based moral panic, and I don't think pipe-smokers on the whole are doing ourselves or the general public any favors in agreeing with the overbroad assertions such as "smoking will kill" us and the like.
Well said lawdawg. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows how significant the difference is between the type of smoking that the average cigarette smoker does compared with pipe or cigar smoking.
But this tiresome ridiculous argument that lumps any and all tobacco use into the same category is just the result of relentless, mindless propaganda on the hive mind that is incapable of discerning the distinctions that exist in reality.
As long as there is mail order
Mail order will go away along with internet sales.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows how significant the difference is between the type of smoking that the average cigarette smoker does compared with pipe or cigar smoking.
No one should argue with the above. Just as no one, with the proverbial lick of common sense, should minimize that taking carcinogens into the body is bad and replacing oxygen with nicotine in the blood is also bad. Addressing degrees of risk is good. The argument is/should be about how one's individual genetic makeup handles the carcinogens, nicotine, etc. Each smoker or "wannabe" should weigh the risk carefully before deciding the possible reward out weighs the risk.
I would defy anyone to demonstrate that there is anything efficacious for one's health to be achieved by putting match to tobacco and then taking the smoke into the body. (Citations would be appreciated should one attempt such.) Smoking is a purely unsupportable from a health standpoint, and a purely selfish decision. I made it, don't regret it but, I really want people to understand the risks. Remember Rodu was only cited in a faintly, very faintly, generalized, positive manner.
Just weigh the pluses (there are none, other than, "I enjoy it.") and the negatives, then make a decision. Oh, weigh the financial costs and accept the idea that you are seen as a social pariah by many of your fellow citizens. All of that simply comes with the territory and, had you done any research, you would know that and accept such quietly with dignity. Many tend to run in circles, peeing themselves and screaming incoherently as they share their surprise at the rising costs of blends and pipes. Then there is the righteous indignation when they discover smoking, in many parts of the world, is frowned upon by society in general.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Many tend to run in circles, peeing themselves and screaming incoherently...
Have you been spying on me?? 8)
jay-roger.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Addressing degrees of risk is good.
I'm glad we agree on that Warren...too bad it goes mostly unaddressed in the propaganda.
Personally, I do weigh the risk of pipe smoking (and I agree there is some risk) but in my opinion it is a very small risk...especially in comparison to the mostly ignored risks in much of what people commonly consume these days.
I just think that the focus on tobacco consumption by the propaganda machine creating most of public opinion is far out of proportion to the other causes of chronic illness...primarily in the average toxic diet and the obesity it helps create.
I'm much more careful about the quality of food I ingest than the average person is these days...and in my opinion that is a much greater health issue than pipe smoking.
But I'm not into attempting to eliminate all risk or to live forever...both of which are impossible anyway. I just like truth and accuracy...and the truth is what lawdawg said above...which isn't often heard, even on a pipe forum. Go figure.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One other point:
I have no problem with the idea of educating the public regarding health risks...as long as it's being done honestly and accurately.
What I have a problem with is the criminalization (or quasi-criminalization) of "substances" for adult, personal consumption. The solution is worse than the problem when that is attempted, as I would think we would have all learned by now...but apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.