PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Despite Dr. Grabow's bravely marching on, I notice that U.S. factory briars seem to be fading fast. Online retailers, if they offer Medico or Yello-Bole at all, seem to offer entirely their Brylon lines. Brylon pipes boast low price and extreme durability, but seem to be the favorites of only a few Forums members. If Benton pipes are still being made, I don't see them for sale. These used to feature some good Algerian briar. About four years ago, I bought new U.S. factory briar pipes -- a Kaywoodie Drinkless, a Yello-Bole Checker in briar. I'm sure you can still track these down on ebay and maybe occasionally at regular online retailers. But it looks like production is fading fast, if it isn't gone altogether. Does this seem to be the situation?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Companies, like people, are shrinking violets from constant political correctness. They fear the bad media and organized vigilante attacks for nonconformity. Even Dunhill is not susceptible!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I wouldn't think it is a matter of political correctness, but rather that they just aren't competitive in this online market. I can only speak for myself, but their products, by and large, are not attractive to me. I'd rather spend a little more and get a pipe from a different manufacturer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
When markets shrink, they consolidate. One big factory producing ten thousand pipes a year is more efficient than seven smaller brands producing a few thousand each. Support your local briarmaker!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You always have to size up pipes and evaluate the quality. I've always found U.S. factory pipes reasonably good to excellent smokers, and I like their designs kind of like 1950's cars, not the current thinking in design by a long shot, but often pretty wonderful in their own retro way. Some of the kitschy carved rustication really grows on me. I have much more sophisticated pipes, design-wise, but like my U.S. factory pipes. Yes, major kudos for 4noggins having some of the only U.S. factory briar readily available online.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love my dr Grabow pipes, but hate the cheap plastic stems. I've thought about buying new kaywoodies before, but never pulled the trigger. How do their stems compare to nee Grabows?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
didi', the Dr. Grabow Royalton series has acrylic stems, which are worth the few extra dollars. It's true, cheaper plastic stems chew up pretty fast. I think acrylic and lucite are plastics, but more durable.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
My meagre array of pipes will probably last me a couple of decades, so I'm not going to be much assistance here....
I might replace my Country Gentleman Cob, as that got horrendously abused when I was learning the pipe (trying to "force" it to stay lit with badly packed damp leaf), but I can't see me needing another briar for many many years.
I'll never buy another of those horrendous "wood effect" plastic atrocities though. Never! If I lost or broke all my pipes and they were the only ones available on the planet, I'd quit!

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I interpret this as ascendancy of artisan handmade pipes, and a flood of estate pipes at attractive prices. Beyond the Missouri Meershaum, there are plenty of very affordable examples of used US pipes below the break even point for factory production. I've picked up fantastic Kaywoodies around $20, where new production is around double that. I reckon it's a consequence of making a quality product that easily lasts a century...the common machine made shapes eventually satisfy all demand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As enjoyable as it is to buy pipes, it pays to take it seriously, since a pipe is small enough and portable enough that it tends to remain in your possession for many decades of your life.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
LoL! Fading Fast? I think they faded out years ago. I really don't look online but I do look closely in stores, smoke shops and B&M's. In B&M's all I ever see are cobs and in stores and smoke shops all I ever see are a very few bubble pack cobs and Grabow's. I travel and I pay pretty close attention when I'm shopping and I haven't seen a real change in 25 years or more.
Companies, like people, are shrinking violets from constant political correctness. They fear the bad media and organized vigilante attacks for nonconformity. Even Dunhill is not susceptible!

Again a big LoL! you can't go far without seeing cases of cigarettes and machine made cigars. If pipe sold they would be available. 8O

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
US factory pipes are fading? I agree with daveinlax, they haven't been shining since maybe the 60s.
Unless you count Briarworks.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Might have more to do with the prevailing attitude in the US that more expensive = better quality. We like to recommend getting the best pipe you can afford, and often tell people to buy pipes in the $100.00 or higher range. So Savinellis, Petersons, and Briarworks tend to be the recommendations. I am sure people are still buying the Grabows and Medico's, or they would have disappeared long ago. They just aren't typically bragged on in the forums.

My early collection was mostly Yellowbowls and Dr. Grabows, and I have a few and still smoke them. One of my favorite pipes is a 1936 Kaywoodie. I am smoking an Edwards right now, which was about $10.00 more than a Dr. Grabow back in the day, when a midrange pipe was around $45.00, and Dr. Grabow was $10.00. I don't buy Grabow new anymore, however, since I started getting artisan pipes. But I think a Grabow is still a good starter pipe, and a decent pipe for someone who can't afford something nicer.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Say it ain't so

I knew they sourced from Briarworks/others???

But sold out???

Well I like my three Stublins regardless

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, the disappearance of U.S. factory pipes is hardly breaking news. But about three years ago, I could buy both a Kaywoodie Drinkless and a Yello-Bole Checker, both new briar pipes, I think it was from tobaccopipes.com when they were a sponsor here. Right now I only know of 4noggins that offers two shapes of Medico briars. So what was a spare market indeed has diminished further. This makes the Dr. Grabow factory in N.C. maybe the last factory pipe maker standing. Hurrah for them, and the artisanal pipe carvers we still have -- in N.C. Jerry Perry and Bob Hayes maybe among the best-known in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.