Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
The Office of the Under Secretary of Defense published policy making it unlawful for any retail outlet on DOD installations and facilities within the U.S. and its territories and possessions, and on U.S. naval vessels at a U.S. port, to sell tobacco products, including electronic nicotine delivery systems, to any person younger than 21 years of age. Retail outlets are required to post signs no later than July 1 informing patrons of this policy change.

Read all about it here.

• Sad
Reactions: bnichols23

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rites of passage have changed, and are changing, not always in understandable or explicable ways. I know various teenagers who actively resist learning to drive, much less getting a driver's license, my fondest wish at 16, such that I had to take the driving test three time, while various of my friends totaled their dads' new Pontiacs and so forth. Vehicles and insurance cost too much for the average young person's budget, even if they are over 21, and maybe the resentment becomes indifference. To me, driving was the declaration of independence.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I love it when someone brings up the "old enough to fight and die, old enough to smoke" canard. The military knows kids better than most. The fully understand children are not capable, as a rule, of making good decisions which is why they are provided full time sitters and live in dorms (barracks) until they prove, individually, they deserve some say in the decision making. Civilian kids are simply granted certain privedges at certain ages. In the military, one earns the ability to make decisions The military understands the basic immaturity of late teens and early twenties types. Granted, ages of majority are certainly arbitrary but, limits are for the lowest common denominator. More mature members earn freedoms faster than their less bright/tractable peers. That is the intention anyway.

The military easily and severely restricts smoking with regard to age, times, locations, etc. It has been that way for years. Somebody with more stripes and experience determined when one could smoke and where. It was totally prohibited the first three weeks of basic training in my time. And then the DI taught us how to smoke and not litter. I remember "field striping" fondly. Policing smoking areas wasn't a lot of fun either. Society tolerates slovenly behavior. The military? Not so much.

They, the military leadership want to reduce physical damage to property as such is expensive. The same as civilian building supers, landlords and others. Limiting the inconvenience to non-smokers is something the military finds useful and easy to implement. Friday Night Smokers in the NCO Club are mostly relegated to history and the memories of "the good old days." Just as the military was forced to lead the fight to integrate society, work forces, neighborhoods and schools it may be the logical leader to relegating smoking with regard to age appropriateness and such. By it's nature the military commitment to "control" lends itself to social restructuring. It is what they do best after all. Well, along with the noble goals of "killing others and breaking stuff."

Civilian and military smoking is generally perceived as "anti-social" behavior. Deal with it guys! We've reverted back to pre-WWI days with regard to tolerance in smoking. Well, can't smoke in the gaming halls and bars these days. That's a bit more severe than the so-called "good ol' days."

Status
Not open for further replies.