PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JonnyD

Lurker
Nov 5, 2020
I just started smoking a pipe. I love it. I do inhale fifty percent of the time, too. Sorry guys. I usually enjoy a light menthol flavor but wanted to try other kinds of flavored tobacco. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reactions: OneGoodBulldog

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Welcome from North Carolina, try macbaren mixture. Can’t go wrong, just starting out another must try orlik golden sliced. Savinelli brunelo flake is very good also. You are about to get a million great suggestions, these are my two cents. Enjoy!

I went on an explorations of vanilla a few years ago, trying and comparing all blends with vanilla. I'm usually not an aromatic fan, but I did find that MacB's Vanilla Flakes had the best vanilla flavor, but it always left me feeling like I needed nicotine.
C&D Vanilla Cavendish was the best balance of tobacco flavor with aromatics.
And, GH&co Vanilla Kendal has a nice kick, and the vanilla only seemed to be hinted at in the flavor. It does seems to have a bit of that lakeland essence, so if you hate that, avoid it.

I could go on and on, but basically, what I wanted to convey, is to just enjoy the search. Sometimes, it's not the destination, but which pipe you choose... or something like that. puffy

Last edited:

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I went on an explorations of vanilla a few years ago, trying and comparing all blends with vanilla. I'm usually not an aromatic fan, but I did find that MacB's Vanilla Flakes had the best vanilla flavor, but it always left me feeling like I needed nicotine.
C&D Vanilla Cavendish was the best balance of tobacco flavor with aromatics.
And, GH&co Vanilla Kendal has a nice kick, and the vanilla only seemed to be hinted at in the flavor. It does seems to have a bit of that lakeland essence, so if you hate that, avoid it.

I could go on and on, but basically, what I wanted to convey, is to just enjoy the search. Sometimes, it's not the destination, but which pipe you choose... or something like that. puffy

Good to know. I've also had good luck with DTM Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. The flavoring adds to the tobacco flavor rather than trying to hide it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my favorite aromatic blends is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. You can buy it in a pouch to try it, and in a tub if you decide you like it. I'd recommend you not inhale pipes, but you knew that. Many like to retrohale, exhale through your nose, for added taste. I don't, but many members do. Welcome aboard.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
It doesn't hurt when you inhale? My understanding has always been that cigarette tobacco is modified to be inhalable, while pipe tobacco is not.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Welcome to the forum. If you like menthol you may like Mixture 79. More of a licorice- anise flavor, but might fit your flavor palette. Of course, some other basic codger blends, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, Prince Albert may be of interest. However there are literally 100's of aromatics to choose from.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OneGoodBulldog

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2020
From one rookie to another; try a nice dark fired Kentucky Burley. I'm a reformed cigarette addict so I too inhale sometimes but mostly retrohale and I've found that the Burley is nice for this. I've not tried a lot, but there you are. Burley. The way they cure it makes it taste quite sweet and it's got a decent nicotine load too. Does the trick for me anyway.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
My favorite flavored blends are:

F&T Cut Virginia Plug
Royal Yuck
Mac Baren Virginia no. 1
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic
Erinmore Flake
Sutliff Vanilla Custard (sue me, I like it)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't do full blown aromatics. But do enjoy some blends with topping that stands out. Been having GLP Haddo's Delight, and that's a good one. Peterson/Dunhill Royal Yacht is also nice. They are both what members call love or hate blends.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
One of my favorite aromatic blends is Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which is burley based, with Virginia as a condiment, and flavored with three liqueurs. You can buy it in a pouch to try it, and in a tub if you decide you like it. I'd recommend you not inhale pipes, but you knew that. Many like to retrohale, exhale through your nose, for added taste. I don't, but many members do. Welcome aboard.
Let me see if I've got this right; you're saying don't inhale? Huh. So I've been doing it wrong all this time?

Reactions: weezell and Ahi Ka