Two Questions About the Manufacturing of Meer-Lined Briars.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
24 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Unlike some guys, I don't think that meer-lined briars are a gimmick. I have two (a GBD and a Chacom) and think that their advantages are real. But there are two questions about their manufacturing which I've never found answers to:

1. What resin or adhesive is used in making pressed/composite meerschaum? (Which I assume is what we find in meer-lined briars.)

2. What adhesive is then used in installing a meerschaum bowl into a briar?

Do any of you know?

Reactions: orlandofurioso

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I am guessing, but given that 1. Block meerschaum is a thing and 2. That meerschaum can be softened I would assume that a plug of block is pressed/cast/formed and forced into a drilled piece of briar to be drilled and shaped after it dries out.

I believe (but can't find any good references) that block meerschaum is just the mineral granulated, wet, and pressed into a block without adhesive.

I'm quite fond of my meer lined pipe. It allows me to smoke a meer which my perpetually oily, dirty, Machinist's fingers prevented me from doing. I kept staining the things.

Reactions: Deano and SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Well, you guys may very well be right. I simply assumed that a meer lining would be a composite pressed into shape; but, if it's block, hey that's great. As for how it's affixed, I am curious.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
According to everything I've read on the subject, most meer linings are indeed composite, made from meer dust and an emulsifier/binding agent. Apparently African meerschaum is often used, and all of my Tanganyika made pipes are meerschaum lined.

I have no idea what is used to hold the composite together or how it is installed in the chamber.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I found something on reborn pipes, that is similar to @rustiepyles saying:

“Was the Meer-lining a result of compacted or pressed Meerschaum that was formed to the chamber or was it a cut piece of Meerschaum that was inserted as a separate piece? Steve’s response was that Meer-linings generally were cut in a lathe and drilled and inserted to fit the chamber.”

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Well, you guys may very well be right. I simply assumed that a meer lining would be a composite pressed into shape; but, if it's block, hey that's great. As for how it's affixed, I am curious.
Peterson used block meerschaum --- cut to fit the pipe not compressed dust and adhesive. That's why they go for a premium today. I believe Pioneer meerschaum did the same but have no proof of this.

Reactions: SBC