PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
  1. Does it make a difference how much air is in the jar? For instance, will stuffed to the gills have any discernible difference over half empty?
  2. With cellaring aromatics, I'm aware that they do not improve with age. If stored properly, at what point will they begin to noticeably degrade?
Thank you.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
1. No discernible difference.

2. No idea. Why cellar aromatics at all? They won’t change much with age and if anything, the flavoring will likely fade over time.
Not so much "cellaring", per se. Simply stocking up on those that I enjoy, in case the worst should happen with the laws here in the U.S.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
  1. Does it make a difference how much air is in the jar? For instance, will stuffed to the gills have any discernible difference over half empty?
  2. With cellaring aromatics, I'm aware that they do not improve with age. If stored properly, at what point will they begin to noticeably degrade?
Thank you.
1. Not really. Unless you're vacuum sealing, there's going to be air in there.

2. I've got Sutliff, then Altadis, blends from the 2000s that still taste like the same blends newly purchased.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why cellar aromatics at all?
Why not? Putting back for future use shields against price increase and favorites being discontinued. I've got aromatics jarred for nearly 18 years that haven't lost their flavor and considering they're what's keeping the ball rolling on pipe tobacco sales, buying them up keeps the boat afloat.