Two Pipes: How Should I Divide Tobacco Between Them?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RamSeva

Lurker
Jul 18, 2021
Title: Capitalize important words. [Rule 9]

I like aromatics and non aromatics. Picked up since escudo yesterday and the spice seems to ghost into other bowls. I’ve been smoking everything in one pipe for awhile now but I haven’t had ghost problems.
i got a Nording Royal Flush on the way and I figure I’ll smoke perique, Latakia, and dark fired blends in One and the rest in the other.
Being so new to pipe smoking I wanted to get y’all’s thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I like aromatics and non aromatics. Picked up since escudo yesterday and the spice seems to ghost into other bowls. I’ve been smoking everything in one pipe for awhile now but I haven’t had ghost problems.
i got a Nording Royal Flush on the way and I figure I’ll smoke perique, Latakia, and dark fired blends in One and the rest in the other.
Being so new to pipe smoking I wanted to get y’all’s thoughts on this?
You got the right idea of trying to separate your ghosts. I'll third the MM cob idea. You can pick up 3 or 4 for the price of a tin of tobacco. That'll help build your rotation keeping it easier to dedicate pipes to blends. And keep that Nording for English blends.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
This is a divisive issue and personal preference…. I’m not too concerned and don’t dedicate pipes as I smoke pretty good quality aros that are mild and dont have a horrible stink on your pipe…. One or 2 bowls should overcome a ghost, plus a pipe cleaner after each use. And I don’t notice or mind the tiny mixing of flavours…. But I don’t see it as a bad idea to dedicate pipes, can’t hurt. 1-aros, 2-natural tobacco including English would be my choice with only 2.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
personally I never worry about ghosts. Unless you smoke a lot of something it usually clears up pretty quickly. And often I end up liking the effect and find surprising little bits of enjoyment. Like how a little vanilla ghost will liven up certain blends that would seemingly not get along well. The one time I think for me at least that a ghost can ruin the experience is if it over powers what you're smoking at the moment. This happens with estates that have been dedicated to a particular style. Again it's a matter of what you're after and what gives you the most reward. For me a little bit of a friendly ghost gives me more reward then a pure dedicated experience would, clearly this isn't a universal sentiment.
Oh one last thing. I used to have just one pipe and would buy one tin, pouch, or baggie at a time. As I smoked through a different tin I would notice the ghost fading out and found that much more interesting then having a Va pipe or English pipe.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
If you smoke a lot of bowls a day get a couple cheaper cobs. I have a handful of aro and non pipes dedicated. Not sure on ghosting yet but my English blends aren't that powerful. I have one cob I put everything in and no issues. I haven't had Lakeland yet. I forget the exact price but these 3 together were less then $100 and smoke just as good as a brier to me. I own briers but giving u a cheap multi pipe rotation. I think these smokebso good because of the longer stems.

Attachments

• 20210716_174335.jpg
    20210716_174335.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 2

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Need at least 1 pipe for every blend type IMO,
Balkans and English = 1 pipe
Virginias = 1 Pipe
Burley = 1 Pipe
Aromatics = ? lot's of different aros that will leave different ghosts, but you could make due I guess.

Burley also gets used to clear out ghosts so doesn't really need its own, I keep 3 for burley, 6 for Virginias, 12 for english and 10 for Aromatics. Got a few more that I'm not sure where to dedicate.
The more pipes the better. Just make sure you have room for them all........oops!