PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frjacob

Lurker
Jul 21, 2014
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9) - Bob

When I was 15, Pop caught me smoking Camels. "Those things will kill you," he told me. "After they make pipe tobacco they sweep the rest up from the floor and they make those." Then he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Quit those things and I'll get you two pipes and you can smoke all the Prince Albert you want. That was 1961. By the time I graduated high school and went in the Navy I was very tired of Prince Albert. I tried Flying Dutchman and kept to it until they stopped shipping it in sealed tins. The pouches always came dry and Dry FD smokes as hot as a prairie fire. It's got to be fresh and moist. I quit the pipe for 20 years.

One day I'm suddenly surrounded by three full grown sons trying out pipes. "Next birthday, get me a corncob and, if you can find it, some Flying Dutchman. Still in a pouch. Still hot as blazes out of a pouch. But now there was the internet. If it exists, you can find it. I like Skiff, Tash Kent, McConnell's Oriental, and their Scottish Flake -- until it recently changed, but no more. So, mostly oriental mixtures, but a balkan if there's not too much Cyrian Latakia, and hopefully orientals forward.

Over the past few years I've made about 12 pipes, mostly out of cherry but some briar. I'm a newbie at that.
I admire, and am trying to make an Eskimo shape, a'la' Tom Eltang, whom I had the honor to meet at a Chicago Pipe show some years back. I like Carl Weber Scoop pipes -- the carved ones. I’ve seen short bios of him & his company but would really like to know more about him. Like, when did he/his company stop making pipes, and when did he die, for example; and pretty much anything else about him. He and his company were very prominent from the 40's into the early 60’s, but I’ve never heard him mentioned at pipe shows or featured in the sorely lamented Pipe & Tobaccos magazine.
Jacob Lee Kulp

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. I was in the Navy for four years. Did you smoke your pipe aboard ship? Or, were you on a ship. I was a non-smoker at the time, except for the occasional cigar in port. A few guys would chain smoke entirely by bumming cigarettes, so I was glad to be out of that. Would have been nice to have a pipe ... if no one stole it. Close quarters that.

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.