PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Recent Posts

Drucquers Banner

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member
Oct 7, 2016
Yes. My apologies if I wasn't clear. The second stem thing I've never seen except with a gold-banded pipe.
Ok.
On another issue, I posted a picture elsewhere of an 803 KS Straight Grain C that o got off Chance a few months back that I like a lot. Guy commented that he had a Punto a Oro in that shape that he didn’t smoke enough. Later in the thread, he posted a picture of it, a Punto Oro Star, grain easily equal to a GdO. I have seen stars on early Gd0’s and I think maybe a couple of sandblast Punto Oro’s but never before on a smooth one.

know anything about the stars?

georged

Preferred Member
Mar 7, 2013
Ok.
On another issue, I posted a picture elsewhere of an 803 KS Straight Grain C that o got off Chance a few months back that I like a lot. Guy commented that he had a Punto a Oro in that shape that he didn’t smoke enough. Later in the thread, he posted a picture of it, a Punto Oro Star, grain easily equal to a GdO. I have seen stars on early Gd0’s and I think maybe a couple of sandblast Punto Oro’s but never before on a smooth one.

know anything about the stars?
I do not.

Might be the same sort of dealer/distributor marking that Dunhill is (in)famous for, and confuses collectors no end.

Regarding GdO grain, it isn't always flashy and/or straight. When I was collecting them in the late 70's through mid 80's the most important thing seemed to be 100% coverage w/excellent density, and ZERO surface flaws of any kind. Not so much as a pin prick. Very old school, especially in light of the collector obsession with straight grain and shaping "to the grain" that became so popular in the 90's.

On a related note, GdO is the only line that Savinelli flatly guarantees has no fills. (People assume that Autographs never do, but it simply isn't true.)

Reactions: 02Knight

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member
Oct 7, 2016
I do not.

Might be the same sort of dealer/distributor marking that Dunhill is (in)famous for, and confuses collectors no end.

Regarding GdO grain, it isn't always flashy and/or straight. When I was collecting them in the late 70's through mid 80's the most important thing seemed to be 100% coverage w/excellent density, and ZERO surface flaws of any kind. Not so much as a pin prick. Very old school, especially in light of the collector obsession with straight grain and shaping "to the grain" that became so popular in the 90's.

On a related note, GdO is the only line that Savinelli flatly guarantees has no fills. (People assume that Autographs never do, but it simply isn't true.)
I have never seen a Punto Oro with a fill. Bald spots, yes. But the only ones I have ever owned, and the only ones I pay any attention to on the estate market are from the Vulcanite stem/non filter era.

Reactions: 02Knight