Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I have different reamers I use, but, lately, I've been gravitating to the Smoking Pipes oyster knife. It's easy to control the pressure and angle; you just need to be mindful not to dig the tip at the bottom of the chamber.

Reactions: dunnyboy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I ended up going with the sand paper and using a finer and finer grit and some barely damp and dry paper towels. I didn’t want to take it all the way down to stone even though i could have, just didn’t want to eff anything up

In the end it was all very anticlimactic ?

View attachment 153667
Looks perfect to me! As long as the airway is clean, light er up!

Reactions: AJL67 and dunnyboy

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I did also have thick cakes in 2 of my CAO Beklers...I just slowly chipped it of- sliding the dull screwdriver and sharper knife between the wall and cake..but it may be even easier with hot water to soften the cake...The one of yours is coloring nicely almost looking like translucent meerschaum pipe...

Reactions: AJL67

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I ended up going with the sand paper and using a finer and finer grit and some barely damp and dry paper towels. I didn’t want to take it all the way down to stone even though i could have, just didn’t want to eff anything up

In the end it was all very anticlimactic ?

View attachment 153667
Not an expert on meerschaums (nor briars for that matter), but the colouration process looks like you may possibly have a translucent meer there

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've used both sandpaper and a pipe knife (aka oyster knife). Each will do the job, I prefer sandpaper I find it's more controlled.

Nice looking pipes BTW.