PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Pat the coffee/tobacco pairing on site is over the top awesome!! I don't want to rush summer away but I am very excited to attend this event. :mrgreen:

P

pipebuddy

I'm about 4 hours away from Bowmanville and I think I will attend. I just need to doucle check with the wife to ensure she has nothing that day.
I love Park's work and it will be a pleasure to get with other pipe smokers.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm about 4 hours away from Bowmanville and I think I will attend. I just need to doucle check with the wife to ensure she has nothing that day.
I love Park's work and it will be a pleasure to get with other pipe smokers.
You should reach out to the guys in the Ottawa Pipe Club and arrange a carpool. We'd love to have some good representation from the Ottawa Valley.
-- Pat

P

pipebuddy

@ Pruss: I was hanging on their Facebook page for a while. They are not, unfortunately, very active. A few individuals tried to organize Meet & Greet's in town, without success. So, as for going to TGA...
But I will throw out the idea on their page.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Shameless Bump
I thought I'd take a second to introduce you guys to one of the pipe carvers who will be participating in our event on September 12. Evan Wiseman is most easily found on Instagram https://instagram.com/wisemanpipes/ He's a young, up and coming, Canadian carver who is developing a solid body of work. He'll be joining Michael and Gio in an open discussion on the stages of pipe making during our event.
If you can make the drive to Bowmanville, Ontario, on September 12th, we'd love to meet you and smoke a few bowls.
Event details and ticket info is here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2015-fall-bbq-with-michael-parks-tickets-17763072829
-- Pat

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I'm seriously thinking of attending this event...if only to get a chance of grabbing one of Gio's pipes... He has quickly become one of my fav makers, and he's a local to boot. I'll let you know relatively soon...it would be nice to meet up with you gents again.
Shutterbug

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The dream team of Canadian Pipe makers. When does the cross country tour start? I would love to see this on the West Coast.
In all seriousness, this sounds like am amazing experience. I hope everyone has a great time!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
When does the cross country tour start?
You have plenty of time to hitch hike. Seriously, Mike will probably let you pitch a tent in his back yard. There's a VIA rail stop a couple of klicks from Bowmanville too... so that's always an option.
I'm seriously thinking of attending this event...if only to get a chance of grabbing one of Gio's pipes...
Did you get the email I sent last week? Want to make sure I have your current address. It would be great to see you again, pal. You have one of the best organized, and nicest, collection of pipes I've seen in a very, very long time.
-- Pat

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Pat:

Yes, I received the e-mail. Thanks for keeping me in the loop, and the kind words. I look forward to seeing you guys as well. I'll register through the link you provided.

Thanks again.
Shutterbug

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yo les!
The same personal exemption limit on tobacco imports exists for visitor's to Canada as it does for Canadians returning after 48hrs out of country. Namely, you are allowed to bring in the.following without paying import duties or taxes: 200 cigs, 200g of pipe tobacco, 50 cigars.
-- Pat

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm no smuggler, but one way to bring in more pipe tobacco would be to wrap it in cigar leaf and cigarette paper, eh?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm no smuggler, but one way to bring in more pipe tobacco would be to wrap it in cigar leaf and cigarette paper, eh?
I think this was probably meant as a flippant joke, but on the off chance it was meant as a heartfelt consideration... I highly recommend not trying to deceive the CBSA that is a recipe for disaster.
--

Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks.
So we are less than a month out from the event on September 12th, and things are sure coming together! We are busily pulling together prizes for the raffle and contests, coordinating the catering, and making sure that all of the events go off without a hitch.
As mentioned, in addition to our host Michael Parks we will also have Evan Wiseman and Giovanni Placentile from Gio Pipes on hand to share how they approach pipe making. For those of you who haven't seen Gio's pipes for sale at the Danish Pipe Shop or elsewhere, here is a link to his online gallery: https://giopipesbygiovanni.carbonmade.com/
For those of you who are travelling in for the event, here are some hotels for you to consider:

- http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499253-d1510702-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Express_Hotel_Suites_Clarington_Bowmanville-Bowmanville_Ontario.html

- http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g499253-d273283-Reviews-BEST_WESTERN_PLUS_Bowmanville-Bowmanville_Ontario.html
Lastly, if you haven't yet picked up your tickets to the event you can grab them online here:

- https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2015-fall-bbq-with-michael-parks-tickets-17763072829
Thanks for reading,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Just a short event update, for those of you who are close enough to join us we'd love to have you.
We have locked down our agenda for the event on Septemeber 12th, and have confirmed prize donations for our contests, door prizes and raffles from Mac Baren Tobacco, Missouri Meerschaum, 4 Noggins, Pipes & Tobacco Magazine, SmokingPipes.com, Old Dominion Pipe Co., and Briar Blues. So it looks like we'll have a rich event with a little something to entice just about everyone to dig deep for the raffle, or enter the contests. I know for sure that one of the prizes is an unsmoked Castello Sea Rock courtesy of Mike at Briar Blues and another prize is an unopened tin of Murray's Erinmore Mixture, among the bevy of other goodies available.
We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of our sponsors and are truly humbled by the support received so far. Thank you to everyone who's donated so far.
Our schedule of events will look like this:

10am – Event kick off! Tobacco and Coffee pairing, and on-site brewing; Swap & Sell; Best Canadian Collection, Carver and Shape Contest begins

11:50am -- Opening Remarks, Thank Yous and Kick-off of Workshop

Noon – Pipe Making Presentation with Michael Parks, Giovanni Placentile and Evan Wiseman

1pm - Catered Lunch

2pm – Best Canadian Contest Close and Prizes Awarded, Raffle Results Awarded

3pm – Slow Smoke Competition

4pm – Event Close
If you can make it, we'd love to see you in Bowmanville, Ontario, on September 12th.
Tickets are still available here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2015-fall-bbq-with-michael-parks-tickets-17763072829
Best,
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey gang.
This is the last shout-out for registration before this Saturday's end of summer pipe event at Michael Parks' studio.
If you plan on coming would you mind clicking the link to register (you don't have to pay online, you can pick the "pay at the door" option) so we can get a firm(ish) number for placing our food order?
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2015-fall-bbq-with-michael-parks-tickets-17763072829
I hope to see a few of you make the trek to Bowmanville.
Best,
-- Pat

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My wife and I are very much looking forward to coming up for this event. See y'all on Saturday. :D
Pat, how does the best Canadian collection work?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Heya!
Bring up to ten of your best Canadian shape, or Canadian made, pipes. We'll have table space for you to display them. Attendees will vote for the "Best Collection", "Best Pipe - Canadian Made", and "Best Pipe - Canadian Shape" ... We have some great prizes thanks to some generous sponsors.
-- Pat

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks Pat, that doesn't sound too hard at all. I'll have to take a head count and see if I've got ten. :puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Doesn't have to be ten... We just cut off the max at ten due to space and insurance constraints..
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.