PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
Hi all, having a nightmare getting twist lit! I've done a search of the forums, watched videos, and tried different methods and still can't get the pipe going. The main method I've tried involves cutting into coins, then cube cutting, rubbing out, and gravity filling then letting the pipe sit for a couple of hours until the top gets crispy. Tried it twice today and each time got so frustrated with relights after a couple of draws that I dumped and re-loaded. Finally I gave up with twist, loaded with Charatan First Bowl and happily puffed away.

FWIW my 'technique' for other cuts seems pretty good (ribbon, flake etc.), just this twist is escaping me! The twist is Gawith Hoggarth Black Bogie Twist.

Any secret methods known only to cognoscenti very gratefully received! Maybe I should leave the tobacco out to dry after cube cutting?

Reactions: redz and danimalia

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Cut coins as thin as you can with a sharper blade, and fully rub out, like shag cut if possible. Dry thoroughly, not for a few minutes, but for up to a day depending on local climate. Pack it lightly, no three step BS. Good charring light over the whole surface, and last but not least, don't pack it down when tamping. Also, much easier to smoke and keep lit in a pipe with an open draw, like a cob with no filter.

BasketCase

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2020
Thanks all for your replies - will give the extra drying a go. Makes you wonder how they would have smoked this on ships, not sure tobacco left lying out would have stayed there for long.

Thanks again!

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Thanks all for your replies - will give the extra drying a go. Makes you wonder how they would have smoked this on ships, not sure tobacco left lying out would have stayed there for long.

Thanks again!
Gawith Hoggarth's 60s or 70s factory video shows the production of their twists, they mention they were popular with miners for chewing as smoking was prohibited and extremely dangerous in a coal mine.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Same. I use a cigar cutter on plugs, too.

Also feel it's important to mention that, in my experience at least, you're just going to have some relights with these tobaccos. Something about those Gawith dark air and fire cured tobacco makes them a bit less flammable than many other tobaccos. I just accept I'll have to relight every once in a while and smoke them when I'm ok with that (almost always).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I broke the tobacco down by hand , partially rubbed it out and then lit. No problems. Since pressed you would have thought this would have entailed extra lights, but it didn't. Puzzled.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Same. I use a cigar cutter on plugs, too.

Also feel it's important to mention that, in my experience at least, you're just going to have some relights with these tobaccos. Something about those Gawith dark air and fire cured tobacco makes them a bit less flammable than many other tobaccos. I just accept I'll have to relight every once in a while and smoke them when I'm ok with that (almost always).
I got an 80 ring to cut plugs. I agree Gawith can be hard to smoke at times. I took @BROBS advice and dry it until it's crispy...then I dry it some more. Flakes I dry for twelve hours, rub out and dry for twelve more. basically the same for plugs. Golden Glow is a different beast altogether. I swear you could throw a box of this stuff into the center of the sun and it won't burn. The shit must be coated in asbestos.