PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
What do you do with the little twigs, stems, veins and whatnot that you find in your mix? Throw them out or stuff them in the pipe along with everything else? I'm wishy-washy about them. Sometimes I leave them in and sometimes I throw them out. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

Reactions: rushx9

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Like the previous respondents I toss these.
It seem these show up more frequently for me in pressed tobaccos (flakes and plugs) and never to seldom in ribbons, twists or coins.

Reactions: mingc

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Birdseye

I smoke whole leaf and end up with tons of midribs. I cut some up finely and smoked them once. They were surprisingly mellow. Not like pot stems being very harsh. I've also chewed them.

Usually I still toss them, though.

Reactions: mingc and BROBS

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
OTC Sir Walter Raleigh in the can would often have some small stems in it, and I would never take the time to sort them
out and they would just be part of what I smoked.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Never found a bit of a stem in any tobacco, but veins, yes. Sometimes remove, sometimes not. (Stems are huge. As in too big to not be noticed at the early stages of leaf processing.)

Based on what davek said, they have some flavoring of tobacco, so combing through the tobacco to remove veins is probably a waste of time. Always wondered about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.