PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Alright, I finally broke down and purchased a block of plateau briar and a stem. I'll post photos once I start working on it. I'll likely start on mine soon after Christmas. Where I ordered, they were out of black stems so I opted for a white marble (I figure I can always get another stem if I end up not liking it) which actually might be kind of nice. However, although a pleasing looking shape, it's quite wide as well as thick. Has anyone ever reshaped a stem, by sanding or other means, to acquire a shape more pleasing or comfortable? And how do you know how much you can take off before damaging the stem? Is the stem solid except for the draft hole? If shaping by hand, what kind of file or files would work best?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You can reshape the stem with wet dry sandpaper. 320 grit is a good place to start. Just don't get to the point you ruin the draft hole. It is solid except the draft hole. Fitting another stem will be challenging so I suggest you like the one you have. Good luck and have fun.
Mike S.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Mike. The tenon is cut to 5/16" so I assume if I do mess up the stem, or I'm unhappy with the results, I can get another stem with the tenon machined the same and it should fit right? :? Something tells me stems are one of the more difficult things to deal with in pipe making.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I like all the new pipe making going on.
Two of the questions I've seen posted to day about pipe making I hadn't even thought of yet to be able to ask.
I just ordered my kit yesterday. Hopefully I'll be able to start on mine next week.

You'd think that if it was 5/16ths that any 5/16ths would fit, but the reality of all tool work is that no two 5/16ths are the same. If you gathered 10 5/16ths drill bits and drilled 10 holes and measured, you'd have 10 slightly different sized holes. Just a hair's difference matters when it comes to a good fit. This is why I use calipers at my bench instead of relying on marked sizes for any drill or burs. I've had some luck using my Pimo tenon cutter to make stems from scratch, but you'll also need a good set of digital calipers.
Good on you. You'll have a blast doing that kit. I think everyone who appreciates pipes should at least give pipemaking a whirl. I think a lot of myths regarding those hunks of wood can get dispelled if we all played around with making a few pipes. It gives me a lot of pride to walk about town with a pipe I made, and it makes my heart swell when I get a compliment on them. You'll have something that some future little anthonyrosenthal Jr will treasure and remember you by.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think everyone who appreciates pipes should at least give pipemaking a whirl. I think a lot of myths regarding those hunks of wood can get dispelled if we all played around with making a few pipes

I'm curious about the sources being used for these kits, the sizes being obtained for what I believe is a forum participation 'event' for 2015, and the amount of pre engineering involved.

I've seen plain briar, and pre drilled kits in a few places.

Just want to know who has the best and any other information.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like Mark Tinsky's kits. Chamber, draft and mortise predrilled. All that is left is to choose the shape, color, and finish of the pipes. As far as shaping stems, leave the stem in the block while shaping the pipe, unless doing a freehand. Leaving the stem in allows you to shape the stem as you shape the pipe for a more professional look. A vertical belt sander with 320 grit paper is very handy for this process.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I ordered my kit from PipesandCigars.com mostly because they were a sponsor of this website. I just didn't spring for the Plateaux.
It's predrilled and it's inline price wise with what I saw from other sources.
Besides, there is about an 80% chance I'll completely blow it up because of my lack of experience. I figure for the cost from there it's not a big deal if I do.
If I find I like doing it enough to do some more, I'll look around to make sure I'm getting the best quality I can find.
Also by looking at this like "practice", I'll be able to see what kind of quality briar I get from them.
These are the specs for the one I ordered:
Bowl Material:

Briar
Bowl Shape:

Assorted
Stem Shape:

Straight
Bowl Finish:

Assorted
Color:

Natural
Origin:

Italy
Filter:

None
Condition Type:

New
Stem Material:

Vulcanite
Pipe Length:

5.9"
Bowl Inner Dia.:

0.7"
Bowl Outer Dia.:

2.0"
Bowl Height:

2.3"
Bowl Depth:

1.7"
Artisan:

No
Pipe Weight:

4.8 oz

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Before ordering a DIY pipe kit, I plan on doing a few things first.
1) Buy some pipe stems in a lot on ebay. You can get a selection of random stems fairly inexpensive.
2) Use blocks of pine, oak, or walnut (in that order or preference) and practice. You will find out what you can do and can't do when it comes to pipe.
Granted, carving and drilling pine compared to briar is sure to be markedly different, at least you would have the chance to get more fully accustomed to the drill and carving.

When I started cutting opals as a teen, a guy told me to start with limestone and work my way to opals. I ignored that advise and jumped right into the good stuff. It's not the same to practice on a lower grade material, not as exciting. Unless you are just wracked with fear, do it!! Just grab a tool and go. Let ingenuity and the spirit of human creativity guide you. Besides, at $30 for a kit, that is way less than the cost of a golf game or an evening out bowling. Plus, when you get done, you'll have something to show for it.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Those are excellent suggestions and what I've been trying to do.
I've been practicing with a black walnut tree I cut down in the front yard. The main reason I did that is just because everything was free minus my effort involved.
I've even used the wood to make wooden stems so that I could practice making my own drill holes and making the mortise and tenon myself.
It's been a real learning experience.
I thought the kit was a good idea because it was pre-drilled. All I have to do is worry about shaping, sanding, staining and polishing.
I even got a straight stem so I wouldn't have to worry about bending the stem (which is why I found this thread of interest when I saw the title.
And like I said, for $25 bucks it's worth trying to baby step into briar.
I hadn't thought of getting a bunch of cheapo stems on ebay to practice with. Looks like that might be my next step to practice stem bending.
Thanks again for the suggestion griffonwing.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Cosmic. I'll keep that in mind.... no pressure... no pressure... I'm going to be sweating like a pig when I start messing with that stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.