Turning an unfiltered pipe into a filtered pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
Does anyone know if it's possible to turn an unfiltered pipe into a filtered pipe? I'm wondering because I try to only smoke filtered pipes and the market for filtered pipes is very slim here in the US, meaning it can be hard to find nice filtered pipes. I like to think that filtered pipes are "healthier."
Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated.
Jordan

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It can be done with some.I can probably modify some pipes depending on the shank size and whatever, It ain't cheap.

Jobey http://pipesandcigars.com/jobeypipes.html

Savinelli http://pipesandcigars.com/jobeypipes.html

Vauen http://pipesandcigars.com/vauenpipes.html And several others make some very nice filtered pipes.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I have converted several pipes to use a Dr. Grabow or Medico type filter. Smoking a Brigham as I type that I converted to use the 6MM filters--didn't care for the Brigham wooden filters. If the tenon is large enough it can be drilled out to accept a filter,but usually the shank will need to be drilled also. I have also removed the aluminum tenon from Dr. G. stems and put them in other stems to replaced a chewed or broken stem in a DG,that can involve quite a bit of work in reshaping the stem to match the shank.Also have to make sure there is enough length in the shank and stem to accommodate the filter.

Might be easier to just buy filtered pipes. All of the Dr. Grabows produced today use filters as do Medicos(they are still making Medicos right?) Many of the older estate Grabows do not take a filter. As I mentioned the Brighams use a wooden filter,and several lines of pipes from Europe use filter although the are mostly 9mm I think.Others can tell you more about them.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I knew Savinelli and Vauen made many filter pipes, but I had no idea that Jobey offered any! Thank you for the help.

jallen49

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2011
I'm not sure of the health benefits either. I just know that the filter does collect a lot of black gunk.

However, I thought that I did hear that the filter can collect carsonigens that would otherwise end up in your oral cavity... Am I crazy or is there any truth to that?

trojan

Lurker
Aug 11, 2011
"I knew Savinelli and Vauen made many filter pipes, but I had no idea that Jobey offered any! Thank you for the help."
And it doesn't stop there either. Stefano Santambrogio make some awesome filtered pipes as do pretty much most of the European carvers. Winslow, Ador, Ascorti and Mastro De Paja are among my favourites.

Status
Not open for further replies.