PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
A couple of generous tuna steaks in the freezer and....

Title edited for caps, brevity and clarity. -jpm

after thawing, I'm thinking or either pan searing or marinating and grilling them.
Any other recommendations? Maybe kebab?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Servant King
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Pan seared rare.

A unique take is a tuna salad using the filet instead of a can, especially with warm tuna.

A light sesame oil with pickled ginger is refreshing.

A light tomato sauce with lemon is good, like puttanesca style.

A dill or caper aioli makes a nice assist, especially with pickled red onions.

Blackened tuna is legit, maybe with rice pilaf.

Served over a misto salad (various blanched vegetables in an Italian marinade) is light and healthy.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Yep, I'll second pan-searing. Cover the fillets liberally with cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and coriander, on both sides of course. Get that cast iron skillet nice and hot, add a couple tablespoons of olive oil, wait ten seconds, and put 'em on for about a minute and a half each side. Dice the fillets into quarter-inch cubes, serve with a nice avocado salsa mix, lime wedges for juice, cilantro, and plenty of cholula. ?

Well, that's what I do anyway... ?

I have to ask what did they do that was so generous. Otherwise then giving themselves up to be food?
Try something new is what I say. Look up recipes until you find one that sounds like a completely new experience.
Tuna is just a very giving fish. puffy

I like to either cook my blackened with cajun spices in a skillet and then finished in the oven, or I will bake them with a mixture of mango and peppers as a glaze.

When I was fishing in the Gulf, tuna steaks sere covered with a wasabi mayo ground fine peanut mixture very generously, slapped on a hot cast iron pan. Asparagus, fresh not canned, with a ice cold beer. I GARRONTE!
What time is dinner?
Salivating GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Reactions: Streeper541

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I like to marinate for a couple hours in soy or teriyaki, then sear rare w/ black pepper & sesame seeds. It's amazing that way. ?
^^^ THIS
depending on how thick the steaks are and how hot your skillet is it could be less than 30 seconds on each side. It should be RARE if you take this path. It cooks so fast I wouldn't bother firing up a grill.

Reactions: Streeper541

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Butter in a pan, just let it sizzle short, pull, rest. Just enough to get a little color on it. I never tried a acidic marinade which sounds appealing where the fish can soften a bit.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Blazing hot cast iron (or even better, carbon steel) pan.

Coat both sides with sesame seeds (black & white, or just white if you can't find black), kosher salt and fresh black pepper.

Combine soy sauce, sesame oil, chili paste (Sambal) and some rice wine vinegar in a small bowl. You can add sliced green onions as well.

Drizzle enough Canola oil (skip the olive oil, it will get so hot that it will begin to degrade and lose any flavor) to coat the bottom of the pan.

Place the tuna in the hot pan and press lightly just to make sure the entire surface has contact with the pan.

Sear for 60 seconds and flip. Sear for another 60 seconds and remove from the pan.

Slice and dip in the sauce to enjoy!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I got a 12” carbon pan and now it’s all I use except for a cast iron if I need more room.

After much use and seasoning, the carbon is now non stick.
I've had one for a bit and I love it. Don't get me wrong, I love my cast iron. But the carbon pan is more versatile IMO. I can fry and egg in it and it just slides around like it's an air hockey puck!

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama