PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Hello cigar smokers,

Just a short question - I'm wondering what are the pros and cons of leaving tubed cigars in their tubo versus untubing them, when stored in a humidor?

My opinion is to leave them in the tube, as they aren't probably perfectly airtight anyways, but might bring a little protection for the cigars. Other opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
You can leave them as is, unless the cigars are over-humidified, in which case you can invite mold. The way around this is to remove the cap and store the cigars in the humidor; after a few months, you can replace the cap if you wish.

Tubo cigars can be excellent - the sealed tube slows aging down, but a lot more of the oils can be preserved while sealed.

Reactions: dcon and burleyboy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can pursue any of three options: store them as is, store them uncapped, and store them with cap and tube removed. In a good humidor they will be fine.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I brought back some Cuban leaf Tueros Tubos from our Honeymoon trip to the Bahamas. That was in 1971.
I have a few left in my humidor. I've kept the tops on the aluminum tubes.
I've smoked them occasionally after an anniversary dinner. The last time was a couple years ago. I was very trepidatious, thinking the thing would blow-up in a puff of smoke, but it turned out to be a very nice smoke, not strong, but smooth and quite creamy for a nearly 50 year old cigar, kept in my humidor, since 1971.
I hope that helps answer you question, burlyboy.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks a lot, Dino, for sharing your long-term observation! I guess, this is the ultimate argument for leaving as is in the humidor!

Reactions: BROBS

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Cigars are never stored in airtight containers except for presentation and sales. Cigars sold as such are not meant to be aged in that manner. Proper aging requires the tobacco to breathe and be within the proper humidity. And yes some of those tubes can be airtight. That's the whole point to keep it humidified and protected during sales. I really couldn't imagine any cigar manufacturer ever suggesting otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.