PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Hey guys.. First time flying as a pipe smoker. Which pipe tools get the "ok" while going thru security?? Flying domestic, US. Thx all! :)

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Skip any cutting tools, everything else is a ok. I get my carry on bag personally checked half of the time. I carry a tin or two and pack 5 tobaccos in paper tightly in each tin. The last agent said it looked weird. Then said it smelled good after inspection

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had recent luck placing my pipe tool- a real one, with cutting edge for reaming and a pick for the stem- in my dopp kit in my carryon suitcase. Same one they confiscated when it was on my person a year ago.
Safer to put a golf tee in your pocket!

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Thank-you, all. I figured that anything w/a blade was a no-go. Wasn't sure about Czech tools w/just a poker, the lil' scooper, and tamper. I'm leaving my lighters at home.
Now about my pipe bag (which I need to order asap!!)... How do I prevent it from making everything else in the carry-on smell? And do you guys have preferred (brands/mfrs) pipe bags?? I just have an old Jobey that's too small for multiple pipes. Thanks again, guys!

Oct 1, 2015
California
I have taken Czech tools many times through TSA with no problem. However, just in case, I always bring some golf tees which are fantastic and cheap pipe tools.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
More here

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/travelling-by-air-with-tobacco-in-the-us

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Czech tools have gone through for me, and pipe nails. My harmonica was inspected since it looked like a pistol clip going through the X-ray. I wouldn't try any of the penknife looking pipe tools. They're nice and they could get taken. I threatened to play the harmonica, and they called the SWAT team. Kidding of course.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
I've never had an issue with a Czech tool and I fly with my pipes all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.