PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Why is it so hard? You would think with the popularity of that flavor that somebody would be filling that hole in the market…Does anybody have any pointers as to how to get that flavor stateside?

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
well first Gauloises is Gauloises but dark fired something might be your best bet. But somethings are one of a kind.
Yes I’ve actually seen some guys trying to make a recipe on another forum but when I was in Germany I bought some tobacco and it was much like Gauloises just super dark and earthy shag wondering if there is something I can get if there is a genre I just don’t know about. Seems there would be something comparable in a tin for those who like that stuff

Reactions: danimalia

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
also just caporal tobacco
Mac Baren has
And

You could write them about retailers. Also search prior forums for whole leaf retailers, they might carry it. May have to order from Europe.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Mac Baren has
And

You could write them about retailers. Also search prior forums for whole leaf retailers, they might carry it. May have to order from Europe.
Yes I wrote them to no avail , feel it’s discontinued,as I see no way to purchase it , I appreciate your efforts. Here is a recipe but I bet there is some cigar leaf in there too.
it.

4g Virginia Bright Leaf air cured
2g WLT Virginia 1st Priming
4g One Sucker
1g WLT Prilep
0.5g Latakia.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
You might have to blend your own, but they might have proprietary casings or toppings. You could ask a moderator to change the thread title to 'Searching for Caporal Tobacco', or start a new one. You can DM the moderator, find out who is online by going to the forum page and scroll down, on the left the moderator will be listed above the members online:
Pipe Smokers Forums of PipesMagazine.com

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
When I was into RYO, I remember reading someone compare Daughters & Ryan Ryback to Gauloises. I have no idea, since I never had Gauloises, but Ryback was kind of a halfzware shag, but maybe with a bit less casing or flavoring than Bali Shag, Stokkebye Amsterdam, Drum, etc... Not that those tasted like aromatics or anything but maybe you can imagine what I mean. Kind of like Jackknife Plug as compared to Old Dark Fired...

I also really like Gawith, Hogarth & Co. shags with fired cured leaf like Kendal Kentucky, Kendal Dark and Dark Birdseye.

Anyway, I don't actually know that Ryback is still available, but might be worth a try, and if you come up on any Gauloises, please let me know, I'd love to try it.