PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
As listed in a prior post, I purchased a new Boswell about 3 weeks ago (Nosewarmer, Weathered Stone Poker) and absolutely love it so far. It smokes very easy and I love the look/feel of it.
As someone who has pretty much lived in the Aro world (due to a bad Half & Half) experience, I decided to get an English sample with the new Boswell. Seeing as they give you a free oz, why not? They were kind enough to send me two different blends, their Mild English and Northwoods. Candidly, smelling them both didn't seem promising and my wife uttered her famous phrase, "Ewwww! Yucky" (see if you can play that back in a 7 year old's voice for emphasis). After trying them both, even she agreed they completed better once smoked and I pleasantly found a smooth smoke without a lot of aftertaste (completely different than my Aro experience).
On Saturday, I drove about 30 miles to the best B&M in our area (The Wharf, Fairfield Commons just outside of North Dayton, OH). Initially I went to look at their pipes and possibly try a free bowl of whatever grabbed my eye. I sat an enjoyed the conversation of the regulars while sampling a bowl of McClelland's Red Cake.
After all of this, it appears that I am steadily turning into an English fan; as I left The Wharf, I left with 2oz of the McClelland's Red Cake, a tin of Captain Earle's Private Stock and a tin of Sutliff's Private Stock, Blend No. 5. As a bonus, the store also gave me a small 1-2 bowl sample of Dunhill's Early Morning.
My wife approved of the aroma in the tin for all purchases and has suggested that I dedicate my pipes as English and Aro to keep them from tainting each other. As such, the Boswell will remain English (and somehow, I can use this to justify PAD).
Now I know why all of you cellar...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great story about your experience. There are so many types of blends to try, one can hardly decide which way to go.

Personally, I think that Latakia blends dull my tastebuds -- as well as provoke hostilities from The War Department. :lol:

Fortunately there is no shortage of non-Latakia concoctions, and they have kept me involved for years.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Once you go lat you never go back. Having said that I've been getting into the Irish and British plugs in a big way over the past year. Very different from my usual Latakia blends but very satisfying. Trying new experiences is what the hobby is all about. Enjoy and let us know how you're doing.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Hobbit you should give Frog Morton's Cellar and Yenidje Highlander a shot. Both are fantastic and from McClellands.
Also try Blackhouse and White Knight from hearth & home.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Once you go lat you never go back."
Thank you, I needed a laugh this morning. Went from OTC to VA/Pers added English added Balkans and added Orientals aka VA/Os. McClelland 24 most recent discovery. Latakia is in about 25% of the blends I go for. Not a whole lot of Burley going on in my world.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What I liked best about the initial post was the narrative of visiting a pipe shop. Boy, do I recognize that scenario. Love that Red Cake.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Grab some cobs. I never smoke a new blend in anything but a cob. Cheap and yet they still deliver the intended product.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Grab some cobs. I never smoke a new blend in anything but a cob. Cheap and yet they still deliver the intended product.
Seems like an obvious option, yet I over looked it. I've just informed the missus that Cob Pipes of any basic shape will make excellent inexpensive stocking stuffers...
Now if I can get PAD under control, I can get a little TAD going...
Cheers!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Once you go lat you never go back.
Wanna bet papipeguy :lol:
But I agree 100% with you that folks should try all the different types of leaf. To each his own and good on him. If I have learned anything about myself in life, I can and do change my mind on a number of things which are not matters of life and death. Tobacco being one of them. If a person had told me 25 years ago I would return to smoking a pipe, my financial ruin would have been eminent over the bet I would have placed. :oops: But he would have had to wait many years to have collected.
Come to think of it, maybe I had better not bet you after all, papipeguy :lol:

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I love Northwoods. Great choice! Frog Morton's Cellar a very close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.