Trying Latakia: Will The Third Time Be A Charm?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I've given tobacco with latakia a try on two occasions. The first was FMOTT, the second was Nightcap. It just didn't work for me. Yet I'm compelled to give this leaf yet another try. While ordering some Anniversary Kake, I made an impulse buy and purchased a 50g tin of Frog Morton Cellar. I'll be smoking it in cooler weather, outdoors while enjoying the Fall foliage. I'm determined to *think* about this tobacco differently and appreciate that its "challenging" properties are those I enjoy in various foods and drinks.
Whatever the smoking analogue is to "bottoms up!", consider it said...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well, if you find FMC too lat heavy, you might have gotten to the point where you've covered all your bases. I, really, like Latakia; as a condiment, as a primary driver of flavour. I just like it. I enjoy FMC, but find it fairly mild in comparison to other blends where the latakia is more forward. The latakia in FMC is certainly less pronounced than it is in Nightcap. I look forward to hearing what you think.
-- Pat

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'll certainly report back.
And Roth, I no longer have the tin of FMOTT. I gave it to a buddy who I knew would love it. He's happy. So I'm happy. If all goes well with 'Cellar,' I might give a stronger blend a try. No hurry though. I've been enjoying my Virginias.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm also not the biggest latakia fan. Before this tin of Sextant that I'm currently working through, I've only enjoyed the Froggies. Even then, I only smoke a bowl of a latakia blend once every couple of days just to give the ole pallet a change of pace from my virginias. I do enjoy the mildness of the Froggies. Tried Nightcap and found the latakia to be too powerful. To each their own. Latakia may just not be for you.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
futureman, there are plenty of "English" blends that have very little or no Latakia at all.
Lane's LEO comes to mind, but there are also many more to try.
The upside to trying many different blends is that the more you try and don't like, the more your friend will benefit from your cast offs! A win-win, and the future of pipe smoking brotherhood.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
It took some getting used to when I tried the Frog Morton for the first time. Latakia has a very distinct aroma. But after a few bowls I grew very fond of it. The FM smokes cool and even, and I find it a nice flavor amd aroma. One of my favorite evening smokes.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I like latakia, but can't bring myself to smoke it everyday. I have an open tin of Nightcap and a can of FM. Love the FM, the Nightcap is fine, but the last time I smoked it I didn't enjoy it at all. It is potent stuff that smells worse than it tastes. Got me feeling like this evening will be a FM kinda night.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I think you'll enjoy the FM Cellar, it's definitely the lightest of the Frogs. I love all the Frogs, they're what really got me hooked on Latakia, although Boswell Countryside is the first lat blend I tried and liked. Countryside is also a light English that's very delicious! Good luck and let us know what you think!

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
futureman asks: "Trying Latakia: Will The Third Time Be A Charm?"
Latakia is extremely common in a great many different blends and the majority of pipe smokers seem to enjoy it. That said, I'm not one of them. I can't tell you how many different blends I tried before I identified Latakia as the common ingredient that I just didn't like at all. That's not to say that those who DO enjoy it are wrong ... far from it. They are absolutely right ... FOR THEMSELVES. It is, after all, a matter of personal taste ... not everyone enjoys every food item in the grocery store, but SOMEone enjoys each item. For example, I cannot abide cucumbers, although I do like most pickles ... odd, maybe, especially since cukes are liked by many people, some of whom can't understand why I detest the taste since they find them to be completely innocuous ...
For me, the answer is that not only was the third time NOT the charm, neither was the 23rd nor was any of the countless other tries I made ... you may or may not find that to be true, but whatever your ultimate answer to the question is, it will be the right answer for YOU.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I do Lat as a change of pace here and there. However, I think in realizing I may not like Perique....and I really want to like it...

Status
Not open for further replies.