PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddavid

Lurker
Jul 27, 2014
As a new smoker I wanted to brach out with new tobaccos and ordered some online. So today I opened my mail box an waiting for me was my package of 1oz tobacco bags I ordered from PipesandCigars.com. I ordered 1oz bags of Lane 1-Q, Cornell & Diehl Bailey's Front Porch, Scotty's Butternut Burley, Yule Log, and a small tin of McClelland FrogMorton. I opened up the box and got a whiff of what smelled like a feedlot in Bakersfield and a burning log. I then figured out that is was the Cornell & Diehl Bailey's Front Porch that made the box and everything in it smell, not a problem because everything else was sealed. But I have to say that is some strong smelling tobacco, I am sorta scared to try it... Any helpful hints before I do? Does it taste like it smells?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have a good selection, so work with what you have for now. Any particular blend may not taste great on the first

bowl. You have to experiment a little, maybe dry out a blend (just one or two pipe bowls in a shallow bowl for a day

or two). You may have to tamp a little, and try packing it looser or tighter before you get it just right. You may be surprised

at how much better a blend will get on the second or third bowl, once you get the hang of it. Different pipes do better with

different blends. And so on. You'll enjoy this first selection, trying the different ones and developing some opinions and

knowhow with your own taste for these.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That's quite a varied selection and all good ones I'd say. It's always a dice roll trying untested tobaccos but that's half the fun.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Greetings,

If you are completely new to all smoking, go slow. Do a lot of reading here. Once you finish the charring light try to draw shallowly (sip) on the pipe. I've only been piping 7 months but I've tried 80 plus blends and am having a ball. Don't worry about smoking the bowl to the bottom, because by then the pipe will be hot and tasting much stronger than the first half did. If you don't at first, eventually you will probably love the smell of Frog Morton.

MUCH practice is required. Have fun.
tinner/tinman

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I've never smoked Bailey's, so I can't comment on it specifically.
I will urge you to smoke them one at a time. By which I mean pick one blend and smoke it for at least a few bowls, rather than jumping back and forth between them. There are nuances that will require a few bowls, at least, to begin to appreciate. Of course, if you absolutely cannot stand one of them after the first bowl, no point in punishing yourself. Even then, I'd put it away for a few weeks, or even months, and come back to it. Especially in the beginning, tastes change.

groovesmith75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 29, 2014
sipping the pipe is the best tip ever. I put it at the front of my lips so the smoke goes over your tongue. If you put the bit halfway in your mouth your missing flavors

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Though there is a link between tin aroma and the smoke, it isn't always conclusive. Right now I'm smoking Solani "Silver Flake," and I don't find the sumptuous honey/VA tin note present. However Pease "Quiet Nights" smokiness is readily apparent in that smoke.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Hello and welcome!
I had to chuckle at your description - I did very much the same thing when I first started a year and a half ago, ordering a sampler from P&C with a variety of blends, including Berry Nice, Vermont Meat Candy, and a tin of Black House. Decent blends on their own, but the combined fragrances were eye-watering. This is why so many people recommend jarring tobacco in glass, as plastic baggies are permeable.
I'm a fan of both 1-Q and Frog Morton, but I haven't yet tried any of the others you mention - but it has been my experience that the "tin note" and the flavor of most tobaccos are related, but not identical. For one thing, the tin note is the scent of the tobacco itself, whereas the flavor is a result of setting the tobacco on fire, so there are a host of chemical changes that take place during that process. About the only rule of thumb I can think of is that stronger-smelling tobaccos (e.g. Black House or Front Porch) will have a strong flavor as well, though the specifics of the flavor will differ once it's burning.
Take your time getting to know each of the samples, don't judge them immediately by their smells (or flavors), and have fun with it. As you work your way through the samples, you'll find what you like, and you can either order more of that or use your preferences to figure out what else to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.