PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
First let me say that I have no way of verifying the veracity of the claim and in general, scuttlebutt is taken as just that. Still, when you hear something as a consumer that might concern your buying habits you tend to take notice. On another pipe related space, it was asserted that Michael Butera was unhappy with the quality of the last few releases of Pelican and rejected them from a quality control perspective. While it was not explained why, it was also asserted that these rejected tins were then sold with a thick black line through the country of origin on the tin. This is supposedly directly from the horses mouth and was passed along to a pipe club but I can in no way judge the validity of the claim. As a consumer, I would find this quite disturbing if true. Why would Butera sell a rejected batch and why would the retailers accept it and pass it along to consumers with no such disclaimer. I hate to give weight to gossip but it was a bit alarming to hear.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
The black line has been on all the tins I have bought in the last few years, not just a recent batch. I have always just assumed they are using up a large quantity of old labels that have the old location already printed on them.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Flatt and 7ach are exactly correct. Production changed about two years ago and the old labels are being used up. The black line is only negating the "Made in Denmark"on the front. On the rear of the tin is the new Arango label which states that it is "Made in Jersey, British Isles".
Same blend.
Rich

4noggins.com

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thanks for the input. That is along the lines of what I was thinking. If one wanted to dissociate a product from the brand, you would black the manufacturer name or tin it without its label. I hate to spread hearsay but definitely didn't want to be chasing tobacco seconds that were still commanding full price due to the name. I have an open tin from last year with the black mark and found it quite tasty but didn't have anything older to compare it to.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Same blend.
Rich
Thanks for the explanation, Rich. I just picked up a tin at a B&M in NYC and didn't even notice the blacked out mark on the tin.
Getting this blend is really tough now a days.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I didn't think Butera had anything to do with these blends anymore. He sold all the rights to Arrango, yes?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Perhaps Michael was expressing some displeasure with the handling of the blends since selling them and the person relating this information was mistaken in his take on that. That's just further conjecture and I don't wish to add any further rumor to the subject. I have been happy with the Butera products I buy in their current form so I am happy to keep buying them when the chance arises.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Officially, I do not know. There has only been one or two shipments that I know of in the last five years or so. It's made by Germain so probably low on their list considering how much other stuff they make that is sold out within minutes.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah I'm sure Germaine's crew is all on vacation. I mean they do make some quality blends but are not a big manufacture like some other blenders. Sadly I think they get their numbers out and are not concerned about the consumers IMO.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I blame the Internet. Without it I would have no idea that a company like germain even existed.
If kingfisher came back, I like many others would consider deep cellars.
Come to think of it, it would be nice if I could get some more brown flake too. I think they care enough to make a damn fine product and I hope they continue to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.