PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Hey guys,

I've been working on a few pipes lately and I'm running into a problem with staining. It seems that my stains aren't setting, so that when I take them to the buffer, the stain comes off easily. I've used both Fiebing's as well as home mixed aniline dyes (with denatured alcohol). I use several coats, each time lit with a lighter, and then buff with tripoli. But when I buff it takes the stain off and my pipe feels almost waxy. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it seems that my stains don't set and just sit on the surface.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Not long, a couple of minutes. Does the stain set more over time? I thought that lighting the stain would speed that up.
no you need to let completely dry. also you may need to do multiple coats.. are you staining, flame, staining, flame, staining, flame, etc etc and wiping with a rag in between?
also how smooth is the pipe? is it polished already like a cue ball?

Reactions: anotherbob
Sep 19, 2019
I don't normally wipe in between, that could be part of the problem. Letting them dry longer, also.

Most of the pipes I stain are very smooth, as I obsessively sand with micro mesh to my finest grit (12000, if I recall from the top of my head)
no you need to let completely dry. also you may need to do multiple coats.. are you staining, flame, staining, flame, staining, flame, etc etc and wiping with a rag in between?
also how smooth is the pipe? is it polished already like a cue ball?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I don't normally wipe in between, that could be part of the problem. Letting them dry longer, also.

Most of the pipes I stain are very smooth, as I obsessively sand with micro mesh to my finest grit (12000, if I recall from the top of my head)
If you’re going to a buffer with tripoli compound, then you are probably wasting time and materials sanding to that high of a grit. Most tripoli is in the 1,000 grit neighborhood, roughly. Some pink no-scratch or white diamond compound will take better advantage of your high grit sanding. Even then, 12,000 is overkill.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Stop polishing before staining.

Use 400 grit (actual sandpaper, not micromesh which measures differently) for the first application, 600 for the second.

Reactions: dmcmtk and BROBS
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks for your responses! I haven't had time to do any staining but i will employ your advice. My major takeaways:

-Don't polish before sanding, let the buffer do that for me afterwards
-Stain & flame several times, wiping with a cloth in between (I wasn't wiping before)
-Let sit over night before buffing

I'll give this a shot when I can and let y'all know if my problem improves.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Should help. I think the main thing is you were closing all the pores of the wood before it could take any stain!

Status
Not open for further replies.