PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Boswells has a few 1 or 2oz items still in stock. Sure none of the popular ones, but there is brown flake aromatic/scented. This should give you a good example of a Kendal sauce. After which, you could go in a more floral/geranium, spicy/cloves or soapy direction, as well as looking at the differences in base tobaccos used in the blends.

Also it’s worth mentioning, that even the unscented versions can still retain some of that residual Lakeland’s vibe. In fact one of my mates prefers to smoke these, as he finds the Lakeland’s strong enough for a very occasional smoke.

in regards to stock availability after a drop, with the exception of ennerdale, all of the above mentioned blends are generally around long enough to pick some up.

Oct 7, 2016
Sure none of the popular ones, but there is brown flake aromatic/scented.
Popular = what the lemmings who previously believed tobacco made in Kendal UK all tasted like urinal cakes and granny’s panties have been told to buy.

If you look at Boswells offerings and cross reference them with even the confused reviews at Tobacco Reviews, you can come up with a wide range of “typical” flavors.

Prior to 1985 and the changes in pipe tobacco manufacture regulations that Margaret Thatcher introduced, there was an approved list of ingredients that could be added to tobacco and what methods could be used to add them. I believe the late Rusty posted this list on Christian Pipe Smokers, but it is no longer there. The only thing “typical” about Lakeland flavorings is that they were on this list. GH today uses virtually the whole gamut, usually more than one in a given blend. The combinations are potentially almost infinite.

GH leaf tends to lean more toward various air cured, fire cured and darker flue cured leaf than is typical today, which to be palatable to many, requires flavorings. This was known colloquially as “Commonwealth“ leaf due to its origins in the then UK colonies in Africa and India. Such leaf could at various times be imported under Commonwealth trade preferences, thus at lower cst than tobacco from the US. Dunhill, for one, advertised that they didn’t use a shred of Commonwealth leaf, thus justifying the higher price of their blends on the U.K. domestic market.

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Just thinking maybe if you remember or partially remember what the tin looked like? Square or Round and any colors from the label? Prob won’t narrow it down with all the blends out there but every detail will help dudes help you lol.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Dunhill, for one, advertised that they didn’t use a shred of Commonwealth leaf, thus justifying the higher price of their blends on the U.K. domestic market.
I didn't know that. What bloody snobs! Now it sells this:
w1570_be4e4e4.jpg

Reactions: Toast and Jaylotw

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Just thinking maybe if you remember or partially remember what the tin looked like? Square or Round and any colors from the label? Prob won’t narrow it down with all the blends out there but every detail will help dudes help you lol.
Good point. Actually one trusted reviewer noticed the significant menthol flavour coming through from blends packaged in the tins with the green labels. This might help narrow it down too

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Popular = what the lemmings who previously believed tobacco made in Kendal UK all tasted like urinal cakes and granny’s panties have been told to buy.

If you look at Boswells offerings and cross reference them with even the confused reviews at Tobacco Reviews, you can come up with a wide range of “typical” flavors.

Prior to 1985 and the changes in pipe tobacco manufacture regulations that Margaret Thatcher introduced, there was an approved list of ingredients that could be added to tobacco and what methods could be used to add them. I believe the late Rusty posted this list on Christian Pipe Smokers, but it is no longer there. The only thing “typical” about Lakeland flavorings is that they were on this list. GH today uses virtually the whole gamut, usually more than one in a given blend. The combinations are potentially almost infinite.

GH leaf tends to lean more toward various air cured, fire cured and darker flue cured leaf than is typical today, which to be palatable to many, requires flavorings. This was known colloquially as “Commonwealth“ leaf due to its origins in the then UK colonies in Africa and India. Such leaf could at various times be imported under Commonwealth trade preferences, thus at lower cst than tobacco from the US. Dunhill, for one, advertised that they didn’t use a shred of Commonwealth leaf, thus justifying the higher price of their blends on the U.K. domestic market.
Totally agree with all of the above. In fact when I factored in shipping costs to the furthest reaches of the commonwealth down under, I’d invariably order my GH/SG from the motherland as the access to the full catalogue was worth the marginal price difference (unless of course one was after the 500g boxes...then everything is bigger and cheaper from Texas)

Oct 7, 2016
Kendal #7 is available at SP.com right now. I believe they use this blend as the base for many of their Lakeland blends. It's available in Bulk so you could try an ounce for starters....

Just saying.... puffy

Coniston cut plug is a more subtle Lakelands but a strong tobacco blend. It's pretty delicious....
I think they use #7 It in a number of things. Cant ever be sure, but I bought two ounces from the January drop, smoked most of it, and bought 500 g this last appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.