PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
All,
Have a trip planned to the UK and Dubai in January. I wanted to pick up classic tobacco's not available in North America. I'm a new pipe smoker so lots to learn. Any suggestions on the list below would be appreciated. Currently I suspect the list is too long so any suggestions on top picks would be appreciated:
Ogden-St Bruno Flake

Ogden-Walnut Flake

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co-Revor Plug

Mick McQuaid -Mick McQuaid Plug

Samuel Gawith-Kendal Plug

John Sinclair-Highland Sliced

Rattray-Old Gowrie

Rattray-hal O’ The Wynd

Murray Sons & Co Ltd-Punchbowle

Troost-Slices

Bjarne-Flake de Luxe

Sillem’s-Black
Thanks

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Old Gowrie and HotW are easily available in the US. I don't think Troost Slices is made any more, although I could be wrong. And I think Murray is gone - they used to tin for Dunhill, among others.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Looking at the first few in your list, I would definitely add the Murray's Warrior Plug and the Germain's Rich Dark Flake (only in Bulk). A couple of the Peter Stockebye bulk blends only in the UK are Bulwark Flake and Irish Slices.
Another excellent Germain blend is the Brown Flake.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Remember that tobacco is very expensive in the UK. Anywhere between two and three times what it costs in the USA and there is very little difference in price between bulk, OTC and artisan tobaccos so choose wisely.
It's indeed odd that a pouch of Clan costs the same as a tin of good quality tobacco. This is due to the tobacco tax making the most of the price, I suppose? Here in Finland where tobacco costs roughly the same than in the UK, the pouched OTCs (Amphora, Clan, a few Mac Barens) is maybe 30% cheaper than the tinned tobaccos (you only find those in the very few tobacconists we still have here).

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Thanks for everyone's advice. This is where my list is at so far:
1-Germain’s-Rich Dark Flake

2-Mick McQuaid -Mick McQuaid Plug

3-Samuel Gawith-Scotch Cut Mixture

4-Murrays-Warrior Plug

5-Gawith, Hoggarth & Co-Revor Plug

6-Orlik-Punchbowle
Gonna be expensive! Don't hesitate to suggest any changes.
Titus

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Also might want to check out JF Germain's Special Latakia Flake and Brown Flake! And the Robert McConnell blends have good reviews too.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
Thanks again all,
Heading off January, very excited. I'm interested to see whats available in Dubai and what the prices are like. I know the traditional Midwakh pipes are very different, as is the their traditional pipe tobacco Dokha.
Dubai has become a major worldwide shopping destination, its hard to believe western pipes and pipe tobacco's won't be available.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Last time through Dubai they had Erinmore Flake, Dunhills and Davidoff baccy's; Erinmore was 20% UK prices, Dunhill 30% and Davidoff 50%. So, if passing through there first, check out what they now have you might fancy rather than UK prices.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Dubai airport duty free has an outstanding selection of Cuban cigars at very reasonable prices if that interest you.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
All,
Well back from a fantastic trip. Thanks for all your suggestions before I left. Here are my purchases:
Erinmore Flake x5 (picked it up at the Dubai airport as it was stupid cheap)

John Sinclair-Highland Sliced

Mick McQuaid Plug

SG-Scotch Cut Mixture

Murray-Rich Dark Flake

Falcon Pipe (straight walled)

Midwakh pipe and Dokha
Went to a few tobacco stores on my travels:
City Cigar-Vancouver, Canada (awesome service)

Segar and Snuff-Covent Garden, London

Davidoff London-St. James St, London

James J Fox-St. James St, London

Smokers Place-Dubai Mall, UAE
Dubai is amazing!
Have fun all!

domminigan

Lurker
Jan 22, 2014
Looks like you made out like a seven legged midget in a purse snatching competition in Times Square! Hopefully smoking these will always remind you of your travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.