PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, I am fixing to leave for the Czech Republic tomorrow morning, actually will be staying in Prague for a few nights. Have any of you guys been there before? Any Good tobacco shops down town Prague? I guess they call a tamper a Czech tool for some reason, so I am guessing that Czech tobacco culture should be really rich. I would truly appreciate suggestions!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never been to Prague, but I know it is a beautiful and richly historical city. They seem to export either cheap pipes or expensive ones, without much in between. No tobacco blending that I know of. You might discover something terrific on the pipe front. Bon voyage and safe passage.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Mso thank you. I have found a good tobacco shop with the help of locals, but it did not reach up to my expectations. I did buy a czech pipe, a church warden, not very expensive but which smokes great. I have also found a number of blends that are not readily available where i live, for example orange blossom from rattrays or presbitarian from planta. On the other hand i expected bulk tobbaco, a rich variety of local blends ... not a single jar of bulk. The lady that worked there was not very helpful.shejust sold stuff and that was pretty much it. I mean come on she didn't even know that the pipe she sold me was briar. The shop was far from its former glory. In days past it was a two story store, now the wooden interior stair well was barred with a rope, visitors were no longer allowed. Their humidor was impresive. Not a walk in, but roughly 20 m long, book shelf style with cubans grouped by years. I bought a few things, but not overly impressed. Something tells me that pipe smoking fell out of fashion over there .. i mean savinely, davidoff (most expensive pipes and tobacco in the shop) and peterson pipes occupied most of shelf space. They are great brands don't get me wrong, but i expected far more from local manufactures. I will post pictures once i get to my home computer ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The cigar culture sounds stronger than the pipes at that shop anyway. I think you pretty much scouted it out. That may be the best Prague has. Not bad, but not great. After all, even in New York City these days, most of the pipe shops aren't what they used to be, and out in the neighborhoods, like in Queens, there is next to nothing. I bet Prague has wonderful things otherwise -- food, art, music, and etc. Have a great visit.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Prague .. the city itself a totaly different story. Growing up in Temeswar, formerly a austro-hungarian city and currently in Romania, i always held vienna in highest esteem. Let me tell you, prague is a must see and it over shadows vienna in many aspects in spite of the fact that the the latter was an empire capital for longer. Culture wise, it truly reflects architectural styles of over 1000 years. The food is fantastic, beer is cheap and easily competes to german quality and standards. Not sure about absynthe, not to my taste - would have been interesting if wormwood was still legal. Music is found at every corner, ranging from classical to modern. On friday don giovani plays in the original opera house where it debuted almost 300 years ago. Sadly we leave tomorrow for karlo vivary, followed by ulm where we have some relatives. Wish we could have stayed a couple more days ..

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
We will ride our bikes to the Czech Republic by end of July. Reading your review I won´t need to search for a pipe shop though. Sad but I think the city will make up to that...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whoa, wormwood absinth had some dire health effect, maybe to the liver. It was a little like Fugu sushi. You took a risk on a drink by drink basis. The food and beer sounds worth the trip! I think Chicago has some good Czech restaurants, but unfortunately, growing up there, I didn't have a car. In some neighborhoods, which can be exclusive to a particular nationality, they still speak the respective languages, and I'm sure Czech is one of them, and likely they have the food cooked the correct way. But it's no substitute for going to Prague!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
IMG_20170627_1200475.jpg

IMG_20170627_1202590.jpg

IMG_20170627_1445286.jpg

Well, finally home and here are the pics. The shop was "Sherlocka Holmes Trafik". stvalentine If you find yourself in winceslas square, give it a shot, what do you have to lose? The second image is the display of the local manufactured pipes, and the third is my purchase.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
You´re right madox, why not giving it a try. I see Jirsa pipes in one of your photos. I like them and maybe they are cheaper than in Germany.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
stvalentine here is the exact address :
https://www.google.ro/search?q=sherloka+holmes+in+prague&rlz=1C1GGRV_enRO752RO752&oq=sherloka+holmes+in+prague&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7097j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=sherlock+holmes+in+prague&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=50082877,14436098,1327&tbm=lcl&rldimm=15124224100967150512&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2

Status
Not open for further replies.