PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Title edited to capitalize only important words. (Rule 9)

I have never been too interested in trying out cigars until today. I woke up after having had a very strange dream where I was smoking cigars with Kurtwood Smith. Like I said, strange, but after waking up I couldn't shake the feeling that I NEEDED to try smoking a cigar, so the next thing I knew I was at my local tobacconist standing in the humidor. I know next to nothing about cigars other than I like some pipe tobacco blends that include maduro, but luckily the shop owner was extremely helpful. He asked me a bunch of question and answered some of mine and he made me a few suggestions on what try out. I picked out 5 cigars and headed home. I kicked off my cigar journey with a Tabernacle corona from Foundation. It had really full flavor with big hints of cocoa and leather, and about half way down I started getting that cool oily taste from the maduro. 10/10 would smoke again. My wife however, said she prefers the smell of any of my pipe tobacco over that one cigar any day lol. I know this is a weird post, but I just wanted to share it. If anyone has any suggestions on what they like I would be glad to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Glad you enjoyed it, hope your other smokes give you the same satisfaction as the first.
The regular cigar guys here will steer you in the right direction, but it sounds like your B&M guy knows his stuff.
I had a CAO Flathead yesterday, sounds like it may suit your Maduro preferences.
Was quite strong though, next time I'll smoke it after dinner..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your wife really won't like your cigars if she finds out that the price of one premium cigar costs as much as a tin of premium pipe tobacco that gives you twenty smokes. I like a good cigar from time to time, but it's been a long time now. I like Dominican Republic cigars, for mildness and good flavor. Free Cuba's are a good buy.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Your wife really won't like your cigars if she finds out that the price of one premium cigar costs as much as a tin of premium pipe tobacco that gives you twenty smokes. I like a good cigar from time to time, but it's been a long time now. I like Dominican Republic cigars, for mildness and good flavor. Free Cuba's are a good buy.
Cigars are definitely pricier, but the auction sites are a boon in that department. I had all but quit cigars for years because of the prices. That’s how I got into pipe tobacco. Then I discovered the online auction sites about a year ago, and also some online vendors that have fair prices. Now I look at cigars as an intermittent treat, and pipe tobacco as my “bread and butter.”
If you’re patient and a little lucky, occasionally you can practically steal a box of decent cigars on auction.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited to capitalize only important words. (Rule 9)

I have never been too interested in trying out cigars until today. I woke up after having had a very strange dream where I was smoking cigars with Kurtwood Smith. Like I said, strange, but after waking up I couldn't shake the feeling that I NEEDED to try smoking a cigar, so the next thing I knew I was at my local tobacconist standing in the humidor. I know next to nothing about cigars other than I like some pipe tobacco blends that include maduro, but luckily the shop owner was extremely helpful. He asked me a bunch of question and answered some of mine and he made me a few suggestions on what try out. I picked out 5 cigars and headed home. I kicked off my cigar journey with a Tabernacle corona from Foundation. It had really full flavor with big hints of cocoa and leather, and about half way down I started getting that cool oily taste from the maduro. 10/10 would smoke again. My wife however, said she prefers the smell of any of my pipe tobacco over that one cigar any day lol. I know this is a weird post, but I just wanted to share it. If anyone has any suggestions on what they like I would be glad to hear them.
I like cigars a lot. But at my budget at the moment it's not worth it. They should feel indulgent not totally foolish. Unless a situation dictates such. Though these days I'll usually buy a tin of panatelas about once or twice a year. One thing I have found although I tend to find pricier cigars better more nuanced and better crafted from a flavor perspective. I am the same way with wine and cigars. Which means that if it's decent I find I enjoy it as much as one that I can id as being a significantly better product. For example I have had some high scoring expensive cigars and wine and I can tell why they are considered such, but I can enjoy that five dollar stick or 12 dollar bottle just as much if they punch a bit above their price point.
My favorite brand is Punch. They just are what I look for in cigar even if I can't articulate it all that good.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Try out Atlantic Cigars 10 Pack Steals, you can get some great deals that way. They also sell assorted packs and random packs for reasonable prices as well.
Welcome to the world of Cigars, it gets pricey in a real hurry.

Reactions: TheDesertPiper

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I pretty much only smoke cigars now when I'm at the golf course. Like others have said cigars definitely are more expensive but when I'm going to be stuck out there 4 and 1/2 hours sometimes because the course is packed it's nice to have two cigars with me to help the time go by. It's also funny how much more accepting people are of cigars than a pipe. People swear you must be smoking weed in it because people don't smoke pipes anymore is what I've been told lol

• Haha
Reactions: TheDesertPiper

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
You are not wrong about that one. Unfortunately I don't get a separate fund for cigars on top of pipe tobacco. If I want to buy more cigars I have to sacrifice buying pipe tobacco and vice versa. The only silver lining is I have acquired an decent little cellar, so I'm not hurting for pipe tobacco at the moment.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Now I look at cigars as an intermittent treat, and pipe tobacco as my “bread and butter.”
This is what I figured I would do. Pipe tobacco is my main squeeze, cigars are the occasional side squeeze. I'm gonna have to try out a few different kinds though until I can really pin point what cigars I want to spend my money on.