Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Being VERY new to pipe smoking I have tried 3 different tobaccos [apparently house blends] from my local tobacco shop.The latest being "The fox and the hound" which if i recall correctly is a blend of Virginia cavendish,light burley,latkia,and perque....This may pertain only to people that have grown up around or been in a tobacco barn but it tastes just like that.For those that have not it's similar to smelling a half smoked pipe mixed with dirt/clay dust and a hint of B.O. flavored tobacco..lol...but still not bad on rare occasions

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome to the forum, nightmarejones.
When I first started smoking, I loved the smell of pipe tobaccos, but they all were much too strong for me. I couldn't imagine that any tobacco would actually taste good.
Slowly over the months my palate developed and I began to appreciate the flavors. Now the mild tobaccos really do seem mild to me and I occasionally enjoy the stronger blends, too.
Try the Fox and the Hound again in a few months and see what you think.
By the way, tobacco reviews are very difficult for most of us.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Could be the particular blend. Some pipe shops just buy available bulk blends and put their own name on it. some are better than others. I'd maybe try a tin of a decent Latakia blends like Frog Morton, Dunhill EMP or H&H Larry's Blend to see if it's the tobacco or just your taste. Some people take to Latakia blends quickly, some slowly and some never! Philip had the right advice about saving it and trying it later, too.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I seem to fall in the "unlikely" camp on the heavy Lats ;-) Tried several times in a six month span and it just wasn't for me.
Try perhaps Escudo. It's a VaPar with a bit stronger flavor without going as heavy as Frog Morton.

Or MacBaren Golden Extra, which is a good entry tobacco but non-aromatic. The tin is better than the bulk and it'll cost you about $4 an ounce or so.
Good luck.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
That was my plan to put it away for a bit ..till I ACTUALLY am ready for a bold blend like that...next time I'll get a lighter tobacco and ween myself into a full on bold blend

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
nitemarejones;
ive been smoking pipe for 15 yrs or more, month ago i tried Latikia blends, ie; Frog Morton, Larry's Blend, Steamroller. I hated em from the first bowl. Now 1 month later, thats all i want to smoke!. Just cant git enough of it and the stronger it is the better i like it. Maybe u'll be the same or maybe not. But for sure, like the other guys say, set it aside and give er a go at a later date.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome aboard, Nightmare.

You have wandered into the world of latakia based (or "English") blends, where your smokes taste like tobacco and not like candy. :D That blend sounds like it might be the Altadis "Fox & Hound" blend, which is part of the Tobacco Galleria series. I would consider it a light English, myself - I smoke such blends regularly. But it was probably at least two years after I started smoking a pipe - maybe 3 - before I discovered them, having gone through various American and Dutch (Sail and Troost, primarily) blends before that. Put it in a ball jar and set it aside for 6 months, and see what you think then. :puffy:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Yep, set it aside for a few months and try it again is the best thing to do. The worst that will happen is you still don't like it, then you can always trade it for something else.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Welcome aboard my friend. The variety of pipe tobaccos available now is unbelievable! But I can tell you, try a little of everything, and don't think that all English blends are alike. I ised to think Dunhill 965 was the best tobacco ever, till I got on this forum and read some of the reviews. Tough to decide these days on a favorite! My current tastes drift between light aromatics, burley blends, and light Englishes, but next month I might open another tin and have a new favorite, lol.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
Im in a similar boat nightmarejones. I just started smoking a pipe last saturday and have only smoked Captain Black as of now. Waiting for a tin of Dunhill Nightcap to come in. I enjoy the Captain Black more and more each time I smoke it....but it wasn't an acquired taste at all..I enjoyed it from the get go..I even rolled some up for a quick smoke and..for the most part...enjoyed it as well (burned pretty fast).
While I don't have anything to contribute as far as opinions go..it sounds like you should cellar the stuff and revisit it later :D.
I'm looking forward to finding out what blends suit me best. I guess that's part of the fun. Getting to try out everything that's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.