PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Head

Lurker
Aug 29, 2022
Upstate New York - Southern Tier
I just started collecting pipes and have been pleased with my purchases on the Web. However, a recent purchase shocked me. It was a beautiful straight-grain pipe, the proportions were all in scale, but the booger was less than 5" inches long. Now, I have learned to always check the pipe length before making an on-line purchase. I have become adept at converting mm and cm to inches, too.

The question is why make a smaller pipe?

Reactions: tklee and dunnyboy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
opposite of the reason to make bigger pipes. All depends on what the pipe smoker wants out of the pipe. I have pipes in a couple sizes. And smaller ones are easier to put in a pocket or carry with you. They can have smaller chamber sizes for a shorter smoke time. But basically because it isone thing some pipe smokers want, enough that there are some smaller pipes. Not sure why you called it a trend.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Actually, I’d say the “trend” is exactly the opposite to the larger pipes we’re currently seeing. In the past many if not most pipes were smaller and that’s probably a function of how people smoke today versus then.

Just an observation based on what I’ve seen and how large the modern pipes appear to me compared to the older ones.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have not noticed any trend, to be honest.
If you look at the WAYS thread, you will notice quite a spread of pipes being smoked.
Different strokes for different folks 😁

When I got back to smoking pipes a few years ago, I got rid of all my smaller pipes.
Prior to that I had been smoking cigars exclusively for some 15 years and was looking for 45-60min smokes

Then I became interested in old Britwoods.
Most pipes from 1880s - 1920s are sized 3-4.
30 - 40 min smokes have become my sweet spot now. puffy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I wear a hat every day, have since I was a youngster. Your point as it relates to pipe sizes?

Dunhill and others made large pipes even back in the day. But, the huge Danish pipe is a late 1900's phenomena, I believe.
I meant fedoras.

I’m older than gimme baseball caps.:)

Occasionally in court I’ll see a man with a nice hat on, usually in winter.

We are prisoners of fashion. Not as much as women are, but from our shoes to our heads we follow the styles.

I’d be glad to see smaller, traditionally shaped pipes come back in style.

But we’d wind up not smoking them in public anyway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We are prisoners of fashion. Not as much as women are, but from our shoes to our heads we follow the styles.

PossibleLazyEagle-size_restricted.gif

I don't know where you get your information from but I just wear what fits. Typically beat up jeans, a t-shirt, a leather outback hat I've had for 25 years, and a seven year old pair of Justin boots. I couldn't care less about what anyone else is wearing.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I read somewhere that older English pipes were small because tobacco was highly taxed and expensive, so people would have smaller bowls. Don't know how true that is. And somehow that reminds me of the old movie Whisky Galore!
also the trend has been towards lower nicotine blends with more flavor or nuances. Or at least that's what the birds keep telling me. So makes sense. I prefer stronger nic blends in smaller pipes and weaker more nuanced flavors in bigger pipes. But then again that's the kind of stuff you hear and believe because it sounds right, not because any actual evidence is presented about it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I’m so old I remember people telling Conway Twitty jokes.

Traveling salesman goes to a house, and the woman who answers the door in a negligee says

You look like Conway Twittty!

He says

Hello Darlin’

My kids still can’t be convinced he was ever a sex symbol, but once upon a time, he was.
just tell them standards change. As evidence you have kids.... Should put them in their place.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I just started collecting pipes and have been pleased with my purchases on the Web. However, a recent purchase shocked me. It was a beautiful straight-grain pipe, the proportions were all in scale, but the booger was less than 5" inches long. Now, I have learned to always check the pipe length before making an on-line purchase. I have become adept at converting mm and cm to inches, too.

The question is why make a smaller pipe?
I also am unaware of small pipes being a trend. My reasons for owning a couple are: dosage control for hi nicotine blends, time constraints, to not have to be outside as long on days of inclement weather , they are super light if you are a clincher too. Also good for those days when I’m in the mood to smoke a wide variety of blends…I wouldn’t make it through my list if I was using my big pipes. They also fit into my pocket easier.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
Status
Not open for further replies.