PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This past weekend a friend and I planted (with a dibble bar) 250 pine seedlings (a mix of white, red, and jack) on a small (50 acres) parcel my family owns in Michigan. We did while taking a “break” from other outdoor pursuits (gobble, gobble). It was the first time I’ve done it, and let’s just say I got my workout in for the week. I’m old.

E2DEB218-C553-420E-856D-5120576F2556.jpeg

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Nice! I just looked up dibble bar and watched a video on their use- thank you for the chance to learn.

I did some trail/forest maintenance and a little planting on my grandparent’s land in west-central Michigan when I was (much) younger: such a beautiful area!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
just looked up dibble bar and watched a video on their use-
I only learned about them a few weeks ago

Have you been to the CCC museum near Higgins Lake Krizzose? It's worth checking out how many trees those guys planted. Many people don't realize pretty much the entire state of Michigan was clear-cut. Are you guys planting timber lots?
I know about the museum, but I’ve never been there. We are not planting for timber, only for habitat improvement. We did have a logger come in about 10 years ago to do a selective cut - $$$ to build a new garage

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tree planting is one of the most rewarding activities over time. I hope your joints and muscles recover soon. When I turned fifty all those years ago, my dad sent me a dollar for each year and a few bucks to grow on, so I went to the local guy who sold Japanese Maple saplings, little knee-high trees, and I bought two, one for the front yard and one for the back. The sunnier backyard tree is about twenty feet high, and the tree in the front is about fifteen and somewhat sparser, but both are beautiful and light up with their red leaves like lanterns. They always remind me of Dad and the passage of time, and my wife loves them dearly and always comments when they are lit up in the sun.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
My grandparents had an old log cabin in Crystal Valley, right east of Pentwater!

I spent summers growing up on their place, which is on the sight of an old saw mill. They passed over a decade ago and the land is now part of a nearby farm, but I always stop by and visit when I am anywhere within a day’s drive.
Where at? Our land is between Ludington and Manistee

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve done the same w/various sizes… sometimes remotely only using wheelbarrows and shovels. Seedlings aren’t too bad. 1gal, 2gal, etc., gets a lot tougher. It’s disappointing to later see how many don’t survive from drought, deers, etc., but still worth the effort for those that do…?

That picture of the dibble bar reminds me of an age old question that was always on my mind while using it…. Why not make one long enough that you don’t have to stoop to use it? I remember that the worst part about it was having to stoop to wedge open the ground, backaches!!! It would be so much nicer not to have to bend so much while driving it into the ground.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Right on, back in college, I spent a summer planting trees, in which now, I like to ride my bike through. Time will fly by fast, and you’ll be able to walk through the shade of those towering pines with pride.
Of course when I tell people that I planted that forest that is huge now, they look unimpressed.
Unimpressed that you planted a forest? People man, I just don't get them ??‍♂️

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad's family bought a "vacation" farm in Michigan maybe ten miles northwest of Muskegon, sandy soil with a bone-chilling "crick" running through it, and a little old house without electricity or running water. They used it for about twelve years, until the family was grown, with grandma and four kids staying most of the summer, with an old horse, then a Model T, and a milk cow on loan. My grandfather traveled there on weekends via ferry. The family divided it up, and eventually my dad sold the whole package for Christmas tree farming. I visited there twice, once camping there for about a week with a high school buddy. We're still in touch and he's retired in Hawaii.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
My dad's family bought a "vacation" farm in Michigan maybe ten miles northwest of Muskegon, sandy soil with a bone-chilling "crick" running through it, and a little old house without electricity or running water. They used it for about twelve years, until the family was grown, with grandma and four kids staying most of the summer, with an old horse, then a Model T, and a milk cow on loan. My grandfather traveled there on weekends via ferry. The family divided it up, and eventually my dad sold the whole package for Christmas tree farming. I visited there twice, once camping there for about a week with a high school buddy. We're still in touch and he's retired in Hawaii.
Very cool mso. Most people would shudder at the thought living without such amenities

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.