Travelling to Mexico- bring cigars or buy them there?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
What's it like trying to go through airport security and customs with a handful of stogies? Would I be better off to buy some down there? I have heard that they like to push counterfeit Cubans on unsuspecting tourists.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I buy my cigars only at the LCDH shops I when I am in Mexico. (La Casa del Habanos). These are the Cuban run cigar distributors. I would also bring a couple with you to last until you got the the shops.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah certainly bring your own. Smoke them there to make room for smuggling me back a box of Partagas series d no4's and monticristo no 2. Now, be a good mule and get to work. ;)

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Upon return to the USA and enter our customs, make sure that your domestic / non-cuban cigars have a band to show that they are non-cuban. Should be no problem. Also, make sure your pipe tobaccy is in a tin with a label not just a baggie.
We cruise every year and I pack my own cigars, never volunteer but will politetly answer all questions.
And.....yes I have brought back boxes of cigars from La Casa del Habanos and never had a problem.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Hey i want some romeo y juliet churchills or bolivar corona giganticas.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
@condorlover. That is tru, but still pretty good and taste different from all other countries. I like a mix of all as each country has great cigars as well as some not so great.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Ok, so I am bringing a few cigars and a Bic lighter. Sounds like cigar cutters are likely to be a problem. How do you guys get around that? Cut your cigars before you go? Buy one when you get there? Just eat your cigar like Tuco? I am thinking of just a freezer Ziplock for cigar container.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you have a travel humidor then cutting them beforehand should not be an issue. I would just toss a cutter in the humidor with the cigars. I always travel with my X-treme humidor. Sturdy ABS will protect your cigars very well.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
If I were you I would PM dottiwarten as he lives in Mexico.
As a long time resident of Mexico, I've had the privilege of really getting to know this country. If it's Cuban cigars you're after soon they'll be legal in the States so no need to risk buying counterfeits. On the other hand, top quality Mexican cigars can be had at very reasonable prices. I think Mexico has just done a poor job at international marketing of their cigars, because they are very tasty in their own right. Forget what you've heard, give a good hand rolled Mexican cigar a try. In fact PM me with your itinerary and I'll see if I can hook you up with some really delicious cigars. I'm located in Mexico City FYI.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Buy them. Last time I was in Mexico their was a guy rolling cigars at my resort. Not only was it cool but it was the best cigar I have ever had. Life is about experiencing it. So go and experience it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
A couple of names to watch for are Santa Clara and Aromas de San Andres.
The Maduro wrappers from the San Andres area are really good and come from Cuban seed.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Ive heard some of those counterfeits are quite amazing , and worth a try. Just dont dig to deep in your pocket. Appreciate the story, the workmanship of the fake label... and possibly an amazing tasty suprise.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
HPD:
Are you looking at bringing back some Cubans or finding decent smokes while you're in Mexico? If it's the latter, what's wrong with the native Te-Amos? When I smoked stogies they were a favorite: I preferred the oily, Maduro Toros and Robustos.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
patiobum, good idea about tinned rather than bulk pipe tobacco. It would never have occurred to me, but it

makes perfect sense by way of validating what you have. I hope the opening of Cuba will eliminate the jive

about the cigars and put them on sale at the duty free shops coming and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.