PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Peck, do you doo anything to keep them secure? I just emptied one that had random smoking items in it, that I plan on using.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I find the thinner baccy tins are fine to stick in a pocket, but I don't like bulky shit in my hip pockets so I made a leather pouch from an old leather jacket I cut up. It dries the baccy really quickly so I either wrap the baccy in waxed cooking paper or a sandwich bag first.

Made a pipe cleaner holder and a pipe pouch too. :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I repurposed a tea tin for tobacco. It is big enough for about three bowls of tobacco. This is fine for my pipe club meetings.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I use a little product called a GoTubb made by a company called Humangear. Food safe, cheap, and small for pockets.

No one has mentioned this, but when you pop the top on an aged tin (7 years or more), especially flake, it will deteriorate rather quickly after opening. It dries way more quickly than fresh flakes, and it breaks down into dirt fairly fast.

When I am out and about, I'll throw a few flakes of fresh tobacco into a pouch, or old tin. But, when I pop a tin of aged flakes, I just leave them in the jar or tin and treat them with delicate fingers to separate and pack them. I don't wag about any aged flakes. They would be dirt by the end of the day. YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For short trips, a week or less, I'd rub it out and keep it in a baggie in your pipe kit. For longer trips, I'd put the flake (rope, plug, coin) in a baggie and carry an old tin for rubbing out. Tobacco travels better than you'd think. It wouldn't have been popular among old square rigger sailors if it didn't, especially under the miserable, humid, hot, messy conditions under which they lived. It was one of their few luxuries, so our travel conditions are posh by comparison. The airlines torment us endlessly, but not our tobacco.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Used tins. Some has to be cut/folded to fit. NM#400; half a flake fits most of my pipes, so in half they get cut and tinned..

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Small snack size Ziplock bags colored with a brown magic marker to look like leather .Cosmic makes a good point about aged flakes .

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just take the original tins, did in Italy and things went fine. Felt no need to stuff them up my ass like Peck, but then he has always been kind of weird.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have just realized that you may use business card holders for this purpose. Check this one :)
s-l500.jpg

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
You folks still talking about this? I guess if I traveled with flake, I might either pre-prep it in advance and just stuff it in the bowl, stick a few flakes already prepped and ready to smoke in an empty pill bottle for multiple bowls, or leave the flakes natural in the same bottle and prep them wherever I was, whichever made the most sense for the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.