PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
As most of you know, I travel quite a bit. This winter was so long and cold, for the most part, I just left my pipe at home (unless I knew a shop was nearby). I'm working in Southern NJ for a few days and this morning, with temps in the low 60's, I decided it was time to take the pipe along once more. I carefully packed my pipe tobacco, filled my lighter (checking for a spare flint or course). I even grabbed my bag chair for the trunk of the car. There's nothing like sitting in a chair, smoking my pipe and reading my Kindle on a warm summer evening. This afternoon, I had a little lull in work and since this will be a 12 hour day (restaurant training), I decided to treat myself to a short pipe smoke. That is when I discovered that I forgot to put a pipe my my bag........

(remind me to buy a couple of cobs for the glove-box emergency use)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think in your case, a cob or two in the car is required. Maybe one in your luggage as a back-up. A nice

little Dr. Grabow briar in your shaving kit. Pipe cleaners and pipes nails taped or bagged with them. It's

hard to catch a good pipe smoke when you're traveling, so it is especially satisfying when you do. We went

to a wedding in upstate NY last year, and stayed at an alumnae hotel at a college. I never made it down to

the beautiful little smoking area they had set up in the garden. Traveling with others, it's just difficult to

catch the time. So it's a real score when you can. Golf tees, whether you golf or not, make good pipe tools,

tamper and pick/scoop -- the wooden not the plastic tees.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I once rode uphill in the rain to my garage smoking spot from my house to salvage some joy from a terrible day when I also forgot my pipe. Boy does that hurt!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I always hate travelling... I always forget something and end up buying a razor, toothbrush, etc. from the store. Sadly in most places you can't buy a pipe so I guess just put at the top of the list and underline it three times. Or for the extremists tattoo it on your forehead backward. ᎮOT ᑫIᑫƎ?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Hope you found a way to enjoy the day! I keep an old Dr. Grabow Riviera and a tin of Peterson Deluxe Mixture (and matches) in my car for "just such an emergency".

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Ehhhhh that sucks! I suppose stashing a few in the dash could prevent future disappointments like that, haha

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I always travel with my pipe bag - even to work - just in case I get the chance to smoke. I make sure I replace whatever pipe is coming out with another pipe because I want to make sure this exact thing doesn't happen to me!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Feel your Pain! I always have a pipe in the slots on the drivers door, use to/from work everyday. Follow the Boy Scout motto..

You won't do it again.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
That stinks!
I had to travel across the country for work and didn't expect to have any time to smoke. Turns out I got stuck there for a week and cursed myself for not bringing a pipe.
Never again!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A local Rite-Aid saved the day!

It is a filter pipe and smokes a little odd without the filter. I'll have to customize it with a proper vulcanite stem when I get home.
I have some beaters in a drawer and will have to stick one of those in my glove-box. I've been traveling with the pipe for four years now and this is the first time I've forgotten a pipe. I blame the long winter!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Cobs are like reading glasses. You need them scattered about so they are always handy.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Al bad things can happen to a Briar pipe left in a hot car in the summer .I like those Dr Grabows with screw in stem for the glove box or a cob .

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I have a Falcon and a tin of OGS in my bug-out bag.
Pipe smoking survivalist from Idaho.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have about six pipes in my car, 3 or for cobs, a medico varsity, a brylon, and an armrest full of about 6 jars a pouch and a couple of tins floating around the mess of my car floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.