PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
One of the biggest pains in the wallet is just getting from O'Hare to the Pheasant Run Resort...

Looks like the choices are-
1) A cab at maybe $140 with tip.

2) The limo service booked through the resort at around $87 for a shared ride.

3) Uber- Looks like the estimate is $48....
Sounds like we'll be doing Uber this year...
We'll be getting in at 9:00 Wed...can't wait!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
One other option: car rental. I usually pay about a hundred bucks (plus gas) to have a car Thursday-Sunday. Comes in handy not just for the commute to and from OHare, but the odd trip to Target, Portillo's, Binney's, etc.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'll be getting a car, but not until Sunday when I will need if for a trip downstate for a few days.
Where can you get a car for four days at such a good price?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I usually try a composite site like Expedia or Hotwire to get an idea of what's out there, and then go directly to the most promising car rental agency site(s) to book (and then checking for AAA, AARP, special discounts, etc)

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
I take the limousine service from Midway. About $90 or so. After flying and the TSA for hours the last thing I want is to drive in traffic. Helicopter shuttle would be nice.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you really wanted to save money (but probably not time), you could take the Blue Line CTA train from O'Hare to downtown, and then from downtown catch a Metra train out into the suburbs. Then your Uber fare from the nearest Metra station to the venue would be a lot smaller. A hassle, but you'd probably save at least $20 this way. Just putting it out there! Happy to answer any local transit questions if I can.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like most big cities with urban sprawl, Chicagoland's outer reaches really favor car rentals. Once you get out of the city, public transportation gets thin. If you're on a strict budget, the Pheasant Run venue may be able to suggest the best options, including maybe a hotel shuttle that could pick you up from the train line. If I remember correctly, you are well out in the 'burbs at Pheasant Run, if not in the country.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I'm arriving Friday morning 6:57 a.m. Anyone arriving that early Friday and wants to split a limo, send me a PM.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
See this is one of many reasons the Chicago show should meet in actual Chicago, not the distant outskirts. If the show were in the city you could get there from the airport for under $5.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
But the increased cost of the rooms would wipe out the airport transfer savings many times over. And more importantly there's zero chance of finding a smoke friendly venue anywhere from the Loop to Wrigleyville.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My commute to Pheasant Run will be shorter than my daily commute. What is everyone complaining about?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My intention is to get there, plant a pipe firmly 'tween my lips, a cold beverage in my hand, and not leave the premises for the next 5 days...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds like a plan, Stan! Don't look back, Zack! It's the same as my plan, though I'm only Friday-Monday.
Look forward to meetin' 'n' greetin' a bunch of you folks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zack24 and others, you might want to plant the suggestion in Chicago show coordinators' minds that they at least explore the hotels closer in, but not in the downtown, for possible venues for future shows. Downtown hotels would probably be too pricey. There is a concentration of large hotels within easy light rail distance (like two stops) from O'Hare. If like zack, you would like to fly in, spend your time at the show, then fly home, this would be ideal. And the elevated train also could take people to the city, folks who want to visit tourist attractions and Iwan Ries pipe shop. Pheasant Run is a prettier place, and more quiet, but it does involve the commute when many don't have their own cars for the purpose. I don't think it's the distance, it's the hassle. Several large hotel chains have built-for-the-purpose meeting hotels in or near the suburb of Rosemont and environs near O'Hare. I think they might gladly "make a deal." An old home-boy, just thinkin'. Rosemont has a pretty park with a lake, swans, and walking paths, although probably no-smoking -- smoking would have to be in an outdoor tent on hotel grounds, I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.