PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Based on what you have on hand I’d say smoke the EGR if you want to taste a good aromatic and the EMP is a great tasting easy smoking English.

These suggestions are only based on what I like to smoke. I have no idea what your going to like.
Good luck.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I fully understand why people ask what blends to try. But also think that's rather silly question. How would anyone know what you would like? I would suggest trying all the major genre first. Va, English.. Once you know which you enjoy, try different blends in that category.
I agree but put yourself in the shoes of the virgin drinker. Start him on a fruity wine and then the next week give him a shot of Jack Daniels straight. JD is wonderful charcoal mellowed Sweet & oaky flavor. I love it. But if that virgin drinker tried it then he would turned off forever. I love nutty, earthy, rich flavors, but don’t want to mistaking smoke straight
I fully understand why people ask what blends to try. But also think that's rather silly question. How would anyone know what you would like? I would suggest trying all the major genre first. Va, English.. Once you know which you enjoy, try different blends in that category.
I guess it’s like giving a non drinker a shot of straight Jack Daniels off the bat. I love the charcoal woodsy sweet oaky flavor myself but I worked up to it through wine coolers, beer, rum and coke, and eventually JD Straight sipping. My tobacco palate is a babies behind trying to avoid screwing it up. This tobacco world is so diverse and complex I would prefer to get feedback and input from others who have worked through it instead of just throwing flame to any well marketed tin.

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I think you will find English blends easier to smoke than Virginias. I’d suggest the 965 that has cavendish as a good transition blend.

Reactions: mso489

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I think you will find English blends easier to smoke than Virginias. I’d suggest the 965 that has cavendish as a good transition blend.

Don’t forget Burley or Burley Forward blends...

Or Cavendish Forward blends...

Forward = the greater percentage of the blends...

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Don't be scare of Burley , it's delicious :D I never encounter one that taste like cigarette/ashtray , it's nutty/chocolaty .
Burley also has a earthy floral profile going on too, depending on the blender, this comes through differently, sometimes faint, sometimes stronger. This is very noticeable in Solani’s aged Burley flake.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You may very well find that you generally like all or most quality blends in multiple genres. That could be it's own unique problem for you.

What kind of pipe tobacco do you like?
Yes.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
I treated myself today with 3 bowls in 3 separate cobs. It was 50 and crisp and sunny with blue sky and slight breeze.
I tried straight black cavendish, Velvet, and then CB Original that keeps calling me back. Likes them all.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The Googlebot returned this when asked about "Transmission Plan Feedback"

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
The Googlebot returned this when asked about "Transmission Plan Feedback"

You are being amusing but the strange irony is I am an engineer for TMobile. I think that is why my auto populate used “transmission.”

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
You may very well find that you generally like all or most quality blends in multiple genres. That could be it's own unique problem for you.

What kind of pipe tobacco do you like?
Yes.
No sure yet. That’s my issue being so new. Just 3 weeks into it. I know I like black cavendish which I know is a process and not a tobacco. I also prefer Captain Black Original over Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. Tried Velvet today and smells great and was smooth but it was right after the sweet vanilla cavendish so tomorrow morning going Velvet with my coffee first. I only have 3 cob pipes and no briars so still working aromatics. Just taking it slow.

Wildlands

Might Stick Around
Jan 17, 2022
NC, USA
Va/VaPer before English, English before Va/VaPer...doesn't matter. Just choose one that sounds good to you and try it out!

I would try not jump around between a bunch of tobaccos back to back with the same pipe. Smoking aromatics and then Latakia and then a VA blend in the same pipe back to back could muddle the flavors.