PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Ok it’s been 3 weeks. I feel
I unknowingly I have been stuck on almost same tobacco. I have smoked Captain Black Original, Lane 1Q, Lane BCH, Lane RLP6, and I did try a Super Value Cherry. I have learned that almost everyone of them is almost the same tobacco profile by same company (Lane).

I am blessed with aromatic samples below that I acquired or was gifted by some members. While I will still try more aromatic flavors what should be my next move? Should I do a VaPer before a English? I read that Virginia’s are sweet. I do not want the cigarette slap in the face. I guess how do I best dip my toe into the next grouping that is not harsh burley ash tray. I am very ignorant and tying to avoid tongue shock.

Below are samples still to try:

Cringle Flake 2021
Carolina Red Flake w/Perique 2021
Viprati
Verge Engine SantaDrive
Peter Stokkeyebe Luxury Bullseye Flk
Wilke Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Boswell’s Best
Boswell’s Christmas Cookie
Boswell’s Apple Strudel
Peterson’s Sweet Killarney
Presbyterian
Boswell’s Military Force
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake
Autumn Evening
Velvet
Edward G Robinson
Petersons Early Morning Pipe
MM Orchard Mist
Amphora Virginia
Match Carter Hall

Last edited by a moderator:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
VaPer before English, there is no rhyme or reason to this, just do whatever you like.

And trust this, you can hear and read all the great raves about a blend, and then try it and hate it. You’re just going to have to try all the various blends out there to know what you’ll like; Virginia’s, Burley, Kentucky, Latakia, etc..

Then along comes the Lakeland’s, and you’re like holy flip, a new thing in town. LOL

Then throw in the vast array of Casings and Toppings, the amount out there will make your head spin.

Just read about the tabac in a blend, like at SPC when shopping, then type in the name in Google and have a read at tobaccoreviews.

If it sounds really great to you, give it a go. ;)

Virginia’s can bite more, so dry the tobacco out really good, give it a pinch between the thumb and index, and feel for no moisture, or a wee bit, for starting out on any new VA blend, go pretty crispy. I thought I mentioned drying to you before, and just sip and go slow with Virginias.

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
VaPer before English, there is no rhyme or reason to this, just do whatever you like.

And trust this, you can hear and read all the great raves about a blend, and then try it and hate it. You’re just going to have to try all the various blends out there to know what you’ll like; Virginia’s, Burley, Kentucky, Latakia, etc..

Then along comes the Lakeland’s, and you’re like holy flip, a new thing in town. LOL

Then throw in the vast array of Casings and Toppings, the amount out there will make your head spin.

Just read about the tabac in a blend, like at SPC when shopping, then type in the name in Google and have a read at tobaccoreviews.

If it sounds really great to you, give it a go. ;)

Virginia’s can bite more, so dry the tobacco out really good, give it a pinch between the thumb and index, and feel for no moisture, or a wee bit, for starting out on any new VA blend, go pretty crispy. I thought I mentioned drying to you before, and just sip and go slow with Virginias.
You are the first person or article that has stated Virginias can bite more. I have only heard they are sweet. I look at Tobacco Reviews .com but they all blend together (pun intended). After reading conflicting reviews on every tin, differing note detections, and looking at the graphs that are almost all identical my brain just gives up.

Ultimately it’s on me to find but I am looking for my first non aromatic that I hear people like as an all day smoke or their go to. Maybe I am rushing it but I am not of a simple person that will want to stick with 2-3 blends and stray little. As of now I feel like a kid in a cake shop and at times it’s making me anxious.

I guess I am going to try these that I hear are for beginners.

Presbyterian
Early Morning Pipe
Autumn Evening
Peterson 965
Peterson Nightcap

You are the first person or article that has stated Virginias can bite more.
Top 30 Hmm GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I fully understand why people ask what blends to try. But also think that's rather silly question. How would anyone know what you would like? I would suggest trying all the major genre first. Va, English.. Once you know which you enjoy, try different blends in that category.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Mostly what they said above ^^^
Try a few Va/Per, then try some medium English blends. If you like the Va/Per more, try some pure Va, if you like the medium English more, try some heavy Latakia blends. You will find what you like best, but don't give up. While I'm partial to English and Va/per, I don't like all English or all Va/per blends. And while I enjoy a pure Va now and again, I don't like them all. Good luck and I'm jealous of the experiences that lay ahead of you!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are the first person or article that has stated Virginias can bite more.
Well. now. My answer is two-fold and seemingly contradictory:
You need to listen more, and stop soliciting opinions on perception.

1. Listen to the general knowledge that this forum has to offer. There is a great depth of experience here, and much to be learned. The topic of mouthfeel arises often, and the answer is always the same: Virginia does bite, but she plays well with others.

2. Nobody can tell you what you like. There have been recent threads here on taste and perception and basically our sense of taste and smell perceptions are all different. Taste and smell are complex senses, influenced by a broad array of variables. Detailed opinions on what things taste and smell like are highly individual and probably don't apply to you. Broad generalities can be drawn, but even there, many people find that they have a different experience. Venture forth and explore this world on your own. Ignore "common wisdom". Your milage will vary.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You should try and smoke all of my favorite blends, if you don’t like them, something is wrong with you. I kid, I kid.

I would personally guide you towards the English/Balkan genre and go from there. Based of my experience, I would hold off on the VA genre until you have more experience, it took me a long time to appreciate them, though, I’ve seen others like them right off the bat, it just depends on your taste buds, bud.

AlanH

Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I started like you with aromatics. This fall and winter I discovered the non-aromatics which I now prefer though I still like an aromatic every now and then. I started non aromatics with Virginians and Vapors. The only positive I could say about doing this is it will teach you to smoke your pipe correctly because if you don't you will pay with the tongue bite. ? Lately I still am on the vapors in Virginians but I've introduced three blends of Burley/Virginia I really enjoy these as well.They definitely smoke cooler with less tongue bite nutty woody instead of citrus/hay sweet. I still prefer the Virginia's and vapors but I really like these too. I have yet to go down the English rabbit hole but someone bought me a tin of Presbyterian that I get to try soon. I won't be using any of my Brair pipes. ? To this point I like all the genres I'm not crazy about Haunted Bookshop bookshop and Sutliff 501-c I go back and forth with these two but other than that I kind of like all of the blends I have tried interested to see if I will like English blends.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Old_Newby it has to do with the PH balance in various tobacco.

Virginia’s have been known to bite more, Red Virginia’s even more so.

Yes there can be a lot of sweetness in Virginia’s, along with other flavor profiles; grass/hay, bread, floral, and the list goes on.

Virginia’s can also not be sweet, it all depends on who is blending it, and what they’re are going for.

Pipe Smoking is something of an art unto itself, it all really depends on what you are after.

So, slow down, don’t be in a rush, taker easy and enjoy the ride, that is how Pipe smoking is suppose to be, the mellow easy road. ;)

Truth be told, there are thousands of blends out there.

If you really want to try something like, slightly fruity/nutty and you like, or want to try an Aromatic, be sure to buy an ounce of The Parson’s Blend, I recently mentioned this blend.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have so many samples, I'd avoid the pressure to rush through them. You might smoke two or three bowls of one blend to get the "hang" of it. You might sample a Virginia and a burley early, since these are the base tobaccos of most blends, so you know where they are coming from. I don't think there's any right order. You might focus on one blend for a few bowls, then have something different for a change of pace. As long as it is enjoyable, you are probably doing it right. Anything you don't like, jar it, and try it again in six months to a year. Your taste will change, so don't necessarily go out a buy a quantity of something you like right now.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
VA/Per is a good transition as the perique will increase the PH of the Virginias thus lessening the bite(or so I have found). On the flip side it will also unlock the nic in them as well as give you a peppery sensation in the back of your mouth. Mild English is good too, but Latakia is a taste some people struggle with. Do try some Granger and Carter Hall as well

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Should the title of the be Transition Plan? Are you working on transitioning to new tobacco or transferring it to the readers? I'm confused. ?

Either way... per usual... What Cosmic said. ?
Yehhhhh... Virginias are the most notorious genre for biting. This is why most legit places will tell you that they are for the more experienced smokers. Here, we merely encourage newbies to try Virginias so that we can have some fun with the "tongue bit" posts. YMMV

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Should the title of the be Transition Plan? Are you working on transitioning to new tobacco or transferring it to the readers? I'm confused. ?

Either way... per usual... What Cosmic said. ?
Yes it should be “Transition”. Darn auto-populate. I do most of my blogging on my phone. I discovered it the day after and think there is an edit option that goes away after reply’s so I was too late. I almost asked jpmcwjr to correct it but was afraid to because he has already got me for some title capitalizing mistakes. Shhh don’t tell. ?

Old_Newby

Jan 1, 2022
Texas
VA/Per is a good transition as the perique will increase the PH of the Virginias thus lessening the bite(or so I have found). On the flip side it will also unlock the nic in them as well as give you a peppery sensation in the back of your mouth. Mild English is good too, but Latakia is a taste some people struggle with. Do try some Granger and Carter Hall as well
Thanks Everyone. Yes if course I can study more myself. I just enjoy the personal info from experienced smokers. Much more interesting. I read some articles yesterday about Virginias and yes it’s in black and white about the bite. I always find it amazing how life is yin and yang.. I guess tobacco is the same.. the sweet one has more bite. Like my wife..

Reactions: clynch