PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I don’t usually post threads about myself of this nature on this forum et cetera, mainly due to me feeling that my dark burdens are my own to carry. Though I’m happy to say that I don’t have many of those.
Anyway onto the story – As some of you may know the UK has been hit by some storms and floods related to the hot air of the United States and the cold air of Canada pushing against each other causing a jet stream of air trying to even each other out; which thus blasts across the Atlantic stabilizes and thus extreme wind and torrential rain. My Grandmother happens to live by the River mole, she is an 80 year old woman who is fondly titled ‘Nanny Wendy’ but is stubborn as hell. I recall a many a time that she wanted something down from the loft (Attic), so I had gone in the loft only to see her follow me. My response to this is “What are you doing up here Nanny? Father would be livid to know that I let you up with me”, her response “What Dad doesn’t know can’t hurt him”.
Back onto the story - last morning, the eve of Christmas, I received a phone call from my father informing me not to go into Leatherhead (A village/town) due to it being submerged in water. Then further fears that my Grandmother was caught in it. I responded calmly that “I’ll look for her”, found her in Fetcham (Village) outside the florists. Spoke to her, found out that she went into Leatherhead despite its flooding, I laughed off the concerns stating that this is typical “Nanny Wendy antics”. Anyway went back to her house had some tea, ate some biscuits. Observed that her garden was flooded, I said don’t be concerned it doesn’t look like it will rise much, though I did say in both a serious and a jest manner “If anything happens ring me, I’ll be more than glad to move furniture upstairs and organise your evacuation” then I left. I was home for less than 20 minutes and received a phone call, rushed to my grandma’s only to see that her whole road was begging to flood. I entered the house observed the Garden and then started moving valuable furniture upstairs. My heart sank to know that this is happening to my grandma on the eve of Christmas. My Father is the oldest of three brothers and in almost no time My Father and my Brother, one of my uncles and all of his offspring (which is 3 or 4, they are small, so I feel probably shouldn't be counted as separate entities) were there to help move furniture upstairs.
We were an organised cohesive unit focused on taking everything upstairs, that which is too clunky and big to fit through doorways be raised. Whilst this was happening I couldn’t help think that, how proud I was that we were all together helping my grandmother through this. Unfortunately my other Uncle and his offspring couldn’t get through Cobham (a flooded village), so we’ll let him get away with it (Plus he has often provided me with extra University Drinking money – all round decent chap). Though a moment which was particularly irritating was another example of “Nanny Wendy Antics”, we all said in unison “We have done everything we can, it’s time to leave” She responded “No I’ll just move upstairs”, I think all of us had a little heart sink there, my father who is renown in the family for being the stress’y one (I like to think its him being a bit of a Diva) got a little flustered and said “Mum, you’re coming with us now!” and she haggled “I at least have to wait until the water starts coming in, a Captain must go down with its ship”, I responded calmly “This isn’t the Titanic, and with the power gone out it will be hard to put on a suitable violin concerto”. She laughed and moved extremely slowly to the door, as if to punish us.
Anyway she will be spending time with all three Herman households until the storm goes and the house is repaired, and that’s a result of everyone working together. We at this specific time don’t have a lot, but we have more than most. That’s family. Thought I’d mention that in this time of year when I know that many are worse off being flooded and have no family to support them.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Some pictures of flooding in my area.
1510952_430195423774439_617572363_n.jpg

945410_430201777107137_70922548_n.jpg

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I hate this has happened, but really love the way you presented it, and the way you have seen the most important aspect of it. There's nothing like family that pulls together in a time of crisis. I hope you all the best, and thank you for sharing this.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Not an unusual attitude in your Nanny Wendy, Herman. Have seen it many times when the annual flooding of an over swollen Mississippi River threatens. Families pull together and save what they can. The older members of a family wanting to 'ride it out' to protect the family home. Finally doing as their told by their children and getting out before needing a boat (and sometimes escaping with a boat).
Thank goodness your father finally got her moving before a rescue helicopter was required to pluck her off the roof!
Tell your Nanny Wendy a Merry Christmas from a Missouri raised Mississippi River Rat from across the pond!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Way to pull together! Having Family / Friends is more important than anything and times like this demonstrate why. I raise my Nogg to you and your family!
@Vigil: The ol' Miss can sure swell up fast, huh? In 1991 my IL Guard unit was called up for several months of sandbagging and roof-top rescues near Carbondale. Were you hit by that one?

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Don't think its anything as severe as the Mississippi, According to my grandma the last time this happened was 52 years ago in which the water rose to the 2nd step on the staircase. I'd like to thank you all for your kind comments, it has certainly helped me clear my head. The focus is now insuring that my Nanny Wendy is comfortable, despite the battle that was to ensure that she stay with us until the house is safe. With much of the Sewage rising my father doesn't think it is suitable for her to live there whilst its in that state, this morning we are going to rip out all the carpets and maybe remove some of the kitchen cabinet shell. Fortunately though my uncle has managed to get all the damage paid for on the insurance which from what I have read isn't possible in the States, so many of us are feeling rather blessed at the moment at that. We can only hope that those who are worse off, can reach a similar moment of satisfaction.
I'll make sure to pass on many of the comments to my Nanny Wendy, though I fear I may have to explain the technobabble of the internet! Merry Christmas :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So glad that the damage was covered ... that helps a lot!
Careful with that soaked carpet though, heavy rubber gloves and a mask would be good.
Best wishes!

Jan 8, 2013
Good to know your family all pitched in to help. Mother Nature can be a real b... well you know. It sounds like you got one special grandmother.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife, a newspaper reporter, covered the 1993 Mississippi flood for a paper in the Long Island area, since her

home town is in Missouri where some of the most serious flooding took place. She went out with a boater to

view the damage, in a boat with a woman who was feeding pets trapped on roof tops. The boat skipper ran

the boat under a power line and it caught my wife below her chin on her neck and cut deep. A little faster and

she would have been beheaded; a little deeper cut and she would have bled to death. She was stitched up and

out covering the flood (with a better boat captain) in a few days. In photos she looks near death. Flooding is

often the deadliest form of natural disaster in terms of lose of life. Be very careful and don't take risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.