Tragedy in France: Notre Dame Cathedral Engulfed In Flames.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Watching it right now on the news....absolute tragedy of an internationally important building. Brings tears to my eyes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47941794
Regards,
Jay.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Too early to know cause for sure but may be linked to restoration work that was being done. Main spire and roof of cathedral is gone........tragic. All that lead being liquified is another health concern.

renal923

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2018
I've been following along since I first found out. I also have a friend who lives in Paris who is watching it from as close as she could. It's heart wrenching.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
So sad this structure was allowed to deteriorate so badly. Even non-practicing Catholics feel the loss of this once great building.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
When I was there, more than 20 years ago, I thought it the most beautiful, awe inspiring building I had ever seen. This is so sad. I was certain I was going there again. It is a major national symbol for France, and even more for parisians. So sad. It really makes me feel that nothing lasts forever.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
In Remembrance. Picture from 2016. My heart is hurting right now.

xQCH0jr.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I can only echo all of the above sentiment.
I would only add that, regardless of the cause, I see it as symbolic of and symptomatic of the general deterioration of western civilization.

celticbrewer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2018
Such an amazing place. One of my favorite buildings in the world. Over 3 centuries to build. It will be missed by many :(

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's down but not out. It will be back. Maybe take a few decades, and some pieces cannot be replaced or replicated, but there will be a Nôtre Dame de Paris again.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Very sad news. My wife and I visited Paris last September for our 40th anniversary.
One evening as we walked along the Seine we stopped and watched an elderly gentleman paint with watercolors. We chatted with him for about 15-20 minutes as he painted. He was a wonderful charming man. We purchased two watercolors from him, one is of Notre Dame Cathedral. We had the watercolors framed and they're great reminders of the great trip we had.
Here is the Notre Dame Cathedral watercolor.

20190415_150339-edited-600x450.jpg

Reactions: mawnansmiff

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
This is such sad news. I never had the priveledge of seeing it firsthand and now it is doubtful that my kids will get the chance either.
That said, I agree that it will be rebuilt. I was surprised to read how much of the building that existed prior to the fire had been started or updated in the last 225 years or so. This gives me hope that it will rise from the ashes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.