Tragedy in France: Notre Dame Cathedral Engulfed In Flames.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I kick myself for not going inside the place when I had the opportunity. I was in Paris in 1988 with my then girlfriend Mary with who we'd just had an argument about going up the Eiffel Tower. I declined as I fear heights so said to her to go up and I would wait below but no, she didn't want that.
Long story short, we wandered past and admired the Notre Dame cathedral but never went inside!
Bryan64....
"I would only add that, regardless of the cause, I see it as symbolic of and symptomatic of the general deterioration of western civilization."
Would you care to elaborate on that please?
Regards,
Jay.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
BBC reports they saved the towers and the art. The spire and 2/3 of the roof are gone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good news. It'll be back sooner rather than later, then. Of course, it will never be exactly the same, but changes have been made over the centuries, and in 50 years, no one will be lamenting what was lost.
Your children can visit with equanimity!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sickening to see. Later this evening, officials said the underlying structure was saved, but the spire, much art, and stain glass windows are gone. I'm glad I saw it about ten years ago and went inside. There are other cathedrals in Paris, but until the Notre-Dame is restored, perhaps the one to see is in Chartre, about thirty minutes away.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I would only add that, regardless of the cause, I see it as symbolic of and symptomatic of the general deterioration of western civilization.
brian: I also would love a paragraph or two as to how you arrived at that thought.
I promise not to respond, no matter what you write. But, I am immensely curious as to the "how."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For a sheer and compact, stunning building, Sainte Chapelle also on the Isle de la Cité cannot be beat. Here's your stained glass treat:
Sainte_Chapelle_-_Upper_level_1.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I remember visiting Notre Dame when I backpacked across Western Europe in 1972. It was truly awe inspiring, It will be rebuilt. It has survived fires before. The possible loss of the rose windows is a terrible tragedy, but they have been rebuilt before ad will be rebuilt again.
There is one Parisian building contractor who won't be getting any business after this...

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
I’m glad there was no loss of life.
Now, please let the culprit not be a smoker. Please. We’re demonized enough.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'd be happy to, but have had no time yet (hard to believe, I know...but I have actually had some other things to do). But I will as soon as I am able.
brian: I also would love a paragraph or two as to how you arrived at that thought.
I promise not to respond, no matter what you write. But, I am immensely curious as to the "how."
LOL … please feel free to respond Warren when I get around to it. And not to worry...I fully expect your view to be quite the opposite of mine. If it were to turn out otherwise, it'll just be another one of those dates to mark on the calendar.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, well, regarding the issue of the West being in decline, I could make a laundry list of all of the reasons why I believe that is true...in steep, advanced decline in so many ways...and I even started to, but decided not to for two reasons. One, this has been a tiring Monday and I'm just not sufficiently motivated to do it right now. Two, so much has been said and written on this subject over the last decade or so that it's kind of pointless for me to regurgitate it. If anyone is not already of that opinion, nothing I say is going to make any difference to them.
As for Notre Dame burning being symbolic of that, I don't really understand why that would need explaining. A structure that impressive...of that exquisite beauty and architectue burning...is to me symbolic of the deterioration of the west. Is that really difficult to understand...particularly in light of the course of events in Western Europe in recent years...and particularly in France.
Now to really elaborate on that would require a conversation that can't be had here.
The last part regarding it being "symptomatic" of the deterioration of the west, well that can't be substantiated in any way of course, but it just strikes me that way (or at least potentially)...even if it was accidental. The most extreme precautions should have been in place to prevent such an accident from even being possible at such a place. It strikes me as a reflection of a kind of carelessness that stems from our general decline.
Now yes, I know...all of that is just crazy nonsense of course...but it was requested.
Carry on.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It seems that it can be rebuilt. The roof is quite a loss with the gothic vaults, but what can you do? Preliminary reports seem to indicate an accident ... at least nobody was crazy enough to deliberately set it on fire.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The most extreme precautions should have been in place to prevent such an accident from even being possible at such a place."
Brian64, that one sentence is the only one you wrote that made any sense to me.
Regards,
Jay.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Its not like the richest church in the world cant afford to restore it.I saw on the news that donations were being given .i ask why when surely the hundreds of millions required is small change to the vatican

Status
Not open for further replies.